The 5 Major Dilemmas of Going Home for Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

1. To Skip or Not to Skip Class

The first big decision to be made when coming home for Thanksgiving break is whether or not to skip classes. The University does not give students Monday or Tuesday off, but there seems to be an unspoken understanding between professor and student that classes could likely be “mysteriously canceled.” Sometimes it is worth it to hope for the best and book early trips home, regret only settling in when the bonus question on the final comes strategically from Tuesday’s lecture. To skip or not to skip is always the question.

2. The Mode of Transportation Issue

Often times, students will rely on the likelihood that someone from UVA will be driving home to their area and can give them a ride. This is usually true, but the major drawback of not having a car is that those students must make their schedules match those of the driver. This can become complicated when a passenger is eager to leave, but the driver wants to stick around for his 8 P.M. Tuesday discussion, or vise versa. The dilemma lies in whether or not it is worth it to book a train or flight in advance that works best with your schedule, or to wait and hope that someone else’s schedule will align properly with yours.

3. Relaxing vs. Working

With finals just around the corner, many students need the break as a time to catch up on old readings, work on projects, or begin studying. The bonus time sounds nice in theory, but once students return home to their cozy sofas, tempting television sets, and plentiful holiday activities, the concept of productivity quickly turns into the enemy. The  problem of how and when exactly to focus on school becomes harder than the problems on your Calc 2 homework themselves.

4. When Cleansing Turns to Binging

When students go home for break, they usually see it as a time to detox from their unhealthy school habits such as drinking excessively and eating unhealthily. Students often forget, however, that Thanksgiving break is a condensed time in which they will not only be drinking and eating a surplus on Thursday, but also throughout the week — what about those favorite hometown restaurants you’ve been missing and those high school reunion parties friends will be having? It’s hard to accept you might be returning from break with an extra pound or so, but it’s better to face the reality than the sad surprise.

5. Readjusting to the Grind

Even though Thanksgiving break is short, it is incredibly easy for students to fall back into their old, high school ways. It will be the most difficult to say goodbye to your bed, your dog, your car, home-cooked meals, laundry services, showers without shower shoes, no alarm clocks and little stress. It is especially hard knowing you’re returning to the most intense weeks ahead with final exams, making it all the more difficult to depart. It is only the promise of a pending Christmas break that helps the struggle — a full month of bliss!