jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Easy Ways to Destress During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Finals week is here and we’re all suffering. I’m not even going to try to be positive about this; everyone is dying.

For example, I took my chem exam last night and I was so stressed that I literally cried once I left the exam room. There’s that one college that installed a crying room in their library. Finals are a mess. We need a break. If you’re like me and your college doesn’t have a crying room, here are 5 easy ways you can destress during finals.

Do a puzzle

I know it seems counterintuitive to use your brain more than you have to while relaxing, but puzzles actually make me feel a lot better. I like crossword puzzles, but I know other people like Sudoku and logic problems. Here’s the thing: when I can finish a crossword puzzle, I feel really smart. I don’t feel really smart at all when I’m studying for chemistry. Doing something fun and pressure-free that’s also rewarding can weirdly boost your self esteem, even if in small ways.

Take a nap

This is so simple. Get enough sleep. I first recommend that staying up all night to study or finish an essay NEVER makes you a better student, but if an all nighter has to happen, take a nap. Your body literally can’t function on no sleep. Don’t let yourself fall into the sleep competition, where everyone brags about how little sleep they’ve gotten and how hard their life is (That’s SO TOXIC. STOP DOING IT). So take a nap, drink some water, and take a breath. Basically, take care of yourself.  

Go on a walk

Of course, the first day it gets nice is the first day of finals. It’s not fair. You’re trapped in the library with the fluorescent lighting that is  genuinely offensive. It’s horrible. You get a headache, you can feel the stress emanating from everyone else in there, and suddenly the walls start closing in on your little cubicle in Clem 1. This is a sign that you need to get out of there. Pack up your stuff, take a DayQuil, and go outside. Suffer through the allergies if you need. (Or maybe that’s just me…?) Take a 15 minute walk, listen to a podcast, and pet a dog you see. The more you sit in one place, the crazier you become and the less work you get done. This goes back to #2: take care of yourself.

Watch SNL videos on Youtube

It doesn’t have to be SNL, but get on youtube and watch your favorite funny videos. Watch a vine compilation. Laugh. You don’t need to fall into the “recommended videos” hole and watch for hours, you just need a break where you can laugh at dumb jokes and slapstick humor. It’s worth it. If you’re worried about taking too long of a youtube break, set a timer on your phone!

Get a meal with your best friend

This one’s sappy. Call your best friend (they’re probably stressed too), put on a sundress (or whatever you feel cute in), and get some food. Promise each other to not talk about school and just enjoy being with them. They’re your best friend for a reason! You have more in common than school stress. Catch up on life, even if you’ve only not seen them for an hour. Try a new place to eat, or go to an old favorite. Put aside some time to be happy and school-free; you deserve it!

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!