bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Delicious, Quick, and Healthy Dinner Sides

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

1. Baked Sweet Potato with Cinnamon

This is one of my favorite things to make when I’m in a rush and don’t have much time to prepare my dinner. Puncture a large sweet potato 4-5 times with a fork, then put it in the microwave for 11 minutes, or until it is completely baked through. Cut it open, and drizzle either a little bit of olive oil or melted butter onto both sides. Top with cinnamon and a little bit of salt!

2. Quinoa with Roasted Red Peppers and Onions

Start by rinsing about a half cup of quinoa in a strainer (this will remove the coating on the seeds that tends to make them taste more bitter). Bring the quinoa to a boil in one cup of chicken broth or water. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a separate skillet, sauteé your diced red peppers and onions in olive oil until they are slightly browned. Mix the veggies with the quinoa once it’s finished and you’re all done!

3. Balsamic Oven-Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. On a baking sheet, evenly spread 2 cups of halved brussel sprouts. Drizzle them with balsamic and olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. For an even more delicious (but slightly less healthy) touch, add shaved parmesean cheese to the top of them before serving!

4. Kale Chips

This is probably the easiest and most delicious recipe EVER. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, drizzle your fresh kale with olive oil and season it with salt. Mix thoroughly before spreading it on a baking sheet. Make sure to rip some of the larger pieces of kale so that everything cooks evenly. Put your baking sheet in the oven for 13 minutes, or until the edges of the kale is browned (but not burnt!). These seriously taste like potato chips! I’m addicted!