10 Immune-Boosting Foods for the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As the weather gets colder and flu season begins, it’s a good idea to give your immune system a bit of a boost. Here are some foods that can help you to fight off sickness during the winter months.

1.    Citrus fruits (Vitamin C)

Vitamin C is a great way to keep your immune system strong. Try to put foods like grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, lemons, limes and clementines into your diet.

2.    Green Tea (Antioxidants)

Both green and black teas are packed with flavonoids, a type of antioxidant. Green Tea is particularly great because it contains EGCG, an antioxidant shown to enhance immune function.

3.    Ginger (Anti-Inflammatory)

Ginger helps to decrease inflammation, which can reduce a sore throat and other inflammatory illnesses. As a bonus, ginger can also help reduce chronic pain and lower cholesterol.

4.    Spinach (Vitamin C, antioxidants and beta carotene)

Spinach contains both Vitamins A and C, and is packed with beta-carotene and numerous antioxidants. Combined, these increase the infection-fighting ability of our immune systems.

5.    Shellfish (Zinc)

Fish is not the first thing you think of when it comes to immune system health, but some types of shellfish are packed with zinc, a mineral essential for immune cell functioning. Crab, clams, lobster and mussels are all types of shellfish that are high in zinc.

6.    Garlic (Sulfuric Compounds)

Garlic’s immune-boosting properties come from a large concentration of sulfur-containing compounds, such as allicin. These compounds are great for keeping our immune systems high.

7.    Yogurt (Probiotics)

The probiotics in yogurt help stimulate our immune systems to fight diseases. Make sure the yogurt says “live and active cultures” on the label for the most disease-fighting power.

8.    Coconut Oil (MCTs)

Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which have the ability to kill harmful viruses, bacteria and fungi. Researchers also believe that coconut oil may help to fight viruses responsible for the flu and hepatitis C.

9.    Sweet Potatoes (Vitamin A)

Sweet potatoes are very rich in Vitamin A, which can strengthen your immune system and lower your body’s sensitivity to infections

10.    Nuts and Seeds (Variety of nutrients)

Nuts and seeds are rich in selenium, copper, vitamin E and zinc. Sesame seeds and almonds are good sources of copper and vitamin E, while pumpkin seeds and cashews are rich in zinc. All of these play a role in maintaining a healthy immune system.

Stay healthy Hoos!

New Yorker by birth, Wahoo at heart.