Why Justin Bieber is Actually a College Kid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Stars. They’re just like us, and Justin Bieber is no exception. With a career that’s had more and ups and downs than one of those horses on a carousel, it seems that with an (amazing) new album, new image, and a new tour he’s back on top again. If you look closely at his career though, you realize it’s really no different than the life of the average college student.

1. Just like the rest of us, Justin was fresh meat on campus/the world stage. He had that awful haircut, didn’t understand proper outerwear (JB wore hoodies, freshmen wear lettermans…is there really a difference?), and he had an endearing innocence that rendered him completely oblivious to what he had gotten himself into. A kind upperclassman, named Usher, took him under his wing and showed him where the best parties were, where to get tacos at 2 a.m., and the fourth floor of the library – setting him up for a life of collegiate greatness. 

2. At some point, he finally started getting the hang of the (college of) business. He felt comfortable opening up to his loyal following of fans (friends….). Justin may have gotten a movie based on his life, but is that honestly so much different than letting your friends meet your parents, showing them your baby pictures and letting them blast them on social media, or baring your soul to them? The answer to that is “nah.”

3. We all know those couples that are sooo in love and sooo perfect for each other and sooo getting married someday. Their instagrams are loaded with pictures that leave you feeling lonely and knowing that you will be forever alone while you cuddle with your cat in footie pajamas. Then, all of a sudden, things aren’t so perfect anymore. Your perfect model of love is broken into a million pieces. They are on and off again, and all drama all the time. Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez are THAT couple. It’s basically inevitable that this type of relationship will happen to you or a friend throughout your collegiate career. It’s okay JB, it happens to the best of us.
4. Every college student experiences that time during their career where they’re the definition of ratchet. They don’t go to class, they drink too much, have terrible friends, and basically just make awful choices – all for the sake of “YOLO”. I’m sure if we were all worth $200 million like Justin, this phase of our college careers would look like driving our Ferrari’s at 180 mph on the highway, throwing eggs at our neighbors houses and causing $20,000 worth of damage, and our former NFL-playing-neighbor turning us into the homeowners association for being an awful neighbor. It doesn’t help that every single stupid thing we do is captured by friends turned papparazi, and posted on social media. We feel you Justin. 
5. At some point in our lives, we all have to grow up. This normally happens when you’re putting on your cap and gown and you realize that you can’t show up to your full time job sweating out the tequila from the night before. For Justin, throwing his reputation down the toilet, making his mom hate him, and Selena dumping him is finally what made him get his life together. His new album “Purpose” is basically his graduation from college. Just like the rest of us, he’s not that inncoemt baby-faced kid he was when he stepped on the scene all those years ago. We’re mature adults now, who know to stop at two margaritas instead of six, how to balance work and relationships, and how to get through the day without crying ten times. 

**all GIFs courtesy of Tumblr
Chloe is currently a senior trying to figure out how she's going to be capable of functioning as a real adult in less than a year. When she's not currently dealing with this quarter life crisis you can find her at happy hour, watching movies she knows will make her cry (& forcing her fiance to watch them with her, becaue #love, obsessing over her December wedding, and just generally trying to relive freshman year with her friends because she knows the best years of her life are about to end.
I'm 20. My bio is about as full as my bowl of queso. Traveling the world and pretending I'm good at photography are my passions. Texas ∞