Random Roommates and How to Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Incoming college women have an image in their head of their first semester, including the perfect dorm or apartment bedroom. Many spend the summer crafting, picking out everything from curtains to bedspreads to rugs, envisioning a Pinterest-perfect living space and, last but not least, the most awesome “froomie” to share it with. Sadly, roommate requests aren’t always accepted or, if you started your lease application too late, you may not have an enumerated amount of roommate options.

Although your set-up may be flawless, you’re now stuck with a not-so-perfect roommate. This may seem like the end of the world, but there is still hope for a spectacular year – even if your living situation isn’t so hot. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the most out of your home away from home: 

1.     Enter with an open mind.

Don’t walk into your apartment on Move-In Day dreading the fact that your BFF lives three floors below you and that your building didn’t grant your roommate request. Be nice; college is about growing, changing and meeting new people.

2.     Try to be friends.

Believe it or not, you and your roommate can actually turn out to be great friends. Ditch the #NoNewFriends attitude and make a genuine effort to get to know each other.

3.     Have common ground.

Set guidelines. This should include how often guests are allowed over, how much notice must be given if you want someone to sleep over, a designated “quiet hour” and other various things that may need to be agreed upon.

4.     Designate shared storage spaces.

If your place has shared cabinets, shelves or drawers, know what space is yours and what space is not. Also designate shared space areas. This way there will be no confusion when it comes to where you both keep your things.

5.     Make a cleaning schedule

No matter how neat you claim to be, your place will need to be cleaned eventually. Even if you and your roommate decide to be messy, it’s still not fair if the same person always takes out the trash. Make a schedule to ensure everyone is equally responsible.

6.     Agree on shared items and separate items.

If you’re going to share anything at all, it should to be agreed upon. I can say from experience, it’s not cool when you go to make a quick cup of macaroni only to find there are no macaroni cups left. If you don’t want to share food or things of this nature, write your name on it so everyone knows it’s not up for grabs. As for toilet paper or paper towels… an agreement should be made so one person isn’t constantly buying more.

7.     Talk it out.

Remember: We’re all human and will naturally disagree, but yelling because all your macaroni is gone at 1 a.m. is probably not the best way to go. If your roommate uses something of yours, doesn’t clean up after his or herself or violates a rule, calmly bring it up so you both can find a resolution. You’re both adults now and should act as such.

Roommates can be tricky. But with the right outlook, a few rules and healthy communication, the year should be bearable, even if you’re not the best of friends.

Photo courtesy of utsa.edu

Socialite, blogger, perfectionist; suffering from fomo and currently attending the University of Texas at Austin. Advertising major and member of Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity.