This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Here’s an interesting fact for you – I am 20 years old and I have never drank alcohol, smoked weed or done drugs, been to a club, or attended a college party. Crazy, right?

I have been in college for three years now, and have never once felt the need to live the whole stereotypical college lifestyle. But if that’s what you’re into, hey, major props to you. I definitely am not the type to rub it in your face that I choose to live this way because I honestly just see it as me living a pretty lame life. And I definitely do not judge others for wanting to live it up during their college years because some of my closest friends do choose to party, drink, and smoke and I still love them no matter what.

If you’re anything like me, you know what it’s like to tell people you’re not into the whole party scene. Typical responses I get can range from “what?! Why?? You’re definitely missing out” to “maybe you just haven’t tried it with the right people yet.” However, I do get the occasional, “I wish I was like that,” which is always nice to hear.

If you’re wondering why I’m so lame (like I usually do), then I am more than happy to explain my reasons for living this way.

My mom doesn’t drink, so it was never a thing in my household. I guess it rubbed off on my 24 year old sister, Alma, and me because she doesn’t drink either.

I also get a lot of my personality traits from Alma, and she’s never been interested in clubs, parties, smoking, or drugs either. I know what you’re thinking, we’re just a family full of lames, but it’s okay because life isn’t all about partying. And you know what else is a plus for your friends if you feel like you relate to me? You know you’re always up to be the designated driver whenever y’all go out.

If you’re thinking that I probably don’t go out at all, then guess again. Yes, I do go out with friends who drink and smoke and I still have a good time even though I’m not participating in those activities. Luckily, I have amazing friends who understand that I’m not into that and still want to hang out with me.

So, if you’re like me and feel like you HAVE to do these things in order to fit in, think again. It’s OK to be seen as lame. It’s OK to not want to live like most college students. It’s OK to be simple and proud. As long as you’re happy and having fun with whatever else you enjoy doing, then that’s all that matters.

Dallasite located in San An / UTSA / Popsicle & Milkshake Enthusiast