How Chi Alpha Has Positively Affected My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

When I started my first semester at UTSA, I searched for an organization that would not only help keep me on God’s plan for me, but also one that would provide new friends. I sought out other groups on campus, but I just wasn’t feeling like I was in the right place.

It wasn’t until about three weeks later that I felt the urge to walk up to the Chi Alpha booth and talk to someone about getting involved. I know, you’re probably thinking that they’re usually the ones to go up to people and harass them about whether they know God or not.  Trust me, I’ve heard about how pushy they can be to others about joining their group, but that day was different. I walked up to my future small group leader/friend, Angelica, where she invited me to small group the next day. And ever since then, my walk with God has taken off.

Many things in my life have changed since joining Chi Alpha. I’m not saying that life has been easier, but it has been more enjoyable with the small group girls and Christ by my side. For instance, I have learned to read and understand the Bible in a new way. Before Chi Alpha, I constantly found myself disappointed when reading the Bible because I would get bored or neglect it since I didn’t understand some things. Fortunately, I now have sisters in Christ to help answer my questions and interpret the Bible with me. I have a devoted life now that I didn’t have before and I am understanding almost everything that I read in the Bible. Whenever I get discouraged, I have girls that hold me accountable and push me harder to understand.

My prayer life has also changed because I now know the things I should be praying for and how to pray for them. I’ve learned that my prayers should be purposeful for the Kingdom of God. Also, if I want God to answer my prayers, then I have to be willing to do what He tells me to do.

These are just a couple of things that I’ve learned while being in small group, but I know they play a big part in my spiritual life. While these might seem like minor things, I’ve found that I have completely changed on the inside and out. Since I now have the joy that the Lord has given me, I no longer worry about worldly things because I know that God is in control of my life. I live with less stress because I lay all things down at God’s feet each and every day. I know that my life here is only temporary, so I have to set my sights on heavenly things.

I am not trying to preach about why people should join Chi Alpha, and by no means am I giving all of the credit to them for how my life has changed. But, I know that it would’ve taken me a lot longer to get to where I am now without the people that I have encountered and all that I have been taught. Chi Alpha is such an amazing organization on campus that gives you the wonderful opportunity to strengthen your relationship with God. If you happen to find yourself where I was when I first started at UTSA, I encourage you to give Chi Alpha a chance and see what God can help you with. 

I am currently a sophomore at UTSA. I am passionate about writing and I enjoy making people smile with the things that I write. I love Jesus, my family and friends, Starbucks, Netflix, and Sephora.