etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Growing Up A Military Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

As we grow older, especially going into college and meeting new people, one of the most common questions we as students tend to ask one another is where they are from. This is a question I have grown to get annoyed of when asked. Being a military child, I never knew how to answer this question. Do I tell them where I was born? Where I lived last? Or where I lived the longest? All of which have different answers. Even to this day, I am not too sure how to answer this.

Most often, students have a straight up answer and have no idea that as a military child, we move around a lot. All of my life, my family and I were associated with the military. My father has been in the Marine Corps for 20+ years and as a family, we have been stationed in 6 states: California, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Minnesota, and Texas. In total, I have attended 9 different schools. Throughout the years, I have gained many experiences and views on different cultures that I otherwise would not have gotten if I wasn’t apart of a military affiliated family.

Most people might think that because I have moved several times, being the new student, and having to meet new people and make new friends, that I’m outgoing and a social butterfly. This is not the case for me. I have always been shy and quiet until I get comfortable with the people and my surroundings. Once I get over being timid, I truly enjoy all the new people I begin to meet and places to go around the new area.

Although moving around every 2-3 years can be really hard on myself and my family, I would not trade this experience for anything. I have met so many amazing people and traveled to many beautiful places across the country. I have met lifelong friends that I still keep in contact with after many years who come from big cities to small, country towns. Gladly, I plan on staying in San Antonio for many years to come and can’t wait to see what this city has in store for me.

Howdy! I'm Cassie and currently a senior studying Environmental Science getting little sleep throughout the semester. I love spending time with my dog, taking naps when I have time, and hiking the beautiful outdoors:)