Campus Cutie: Josiah Tauaefa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Josiah Tauaefa is a junior communications major from Lake Dallas, Texas, but you may know him better as #55 on the UTSA football team. Growing up, Josiah was a Cowboys fan and began playing football at the age of four Now as a UTSA football player, it is clear Josiah is very passionate about his sport, his family, and his love for God.

So how did you get involved with UTSA Football?

When I was a junior in high school, the old coaching staff here at UTSA started recruiting me. They were actually my first division 1 offer. My cousin had committed here for soccer and it wasn’t too far from home. It is about a four and a half hour drive so my family could make all the home games. And even within our conference, there were games close to home, so geographically, it was a good choice. What led me to eventually come to UTSA was the environment and feeling of family. 

What would you say the strengths and weaknesses for the team are this year?

I would say one of our strengths is that we are fast. There are a lot of difficulties that can be overcome just by giving fanatical effort. So if you mess up on a play, but you are doing it at 110%, that is a lot better than messing up and only giving 50%. If you don’t really know what you are doing at least be giving 100%. I would say one of our weaknesses so far as you saw in the Southern Miss game, at least for the defense, is the inability to finish strong. That is one of our main things this year Coach Wilson has talked about. There were a couple games last year we lost by 2 scores or less and that was really heartbreaking.

Are you involved in anything else on campus outside of football?

Yes, I am a Fellowship of Christian Athletes officer. It is me and 3 other females who do a lot of the work really, but they let me do stuff sometimes when it is too much for them or when I don’t have anything else going on.

What advice do you have for high school football players who want to get involved in college football?

This may sound cliche but there is no substitute for hard work. There is no amount of talent in one person that can overcome a lack of hard work. Someone else may be the fastest or strongest out on the field but if they don’t work hard it’s useless. Someone who may not be as strong or as fast as them but continues to work hard is going to beat them on the field and that applies to your football, your academics, and anywhere you go.

What are your goals post-graduation?

I would really like to play in the NFL — that is my biggest goal right now. Once football is all said and done what I really want to do is work with kids. I don’t know how yet, but I love being around them and maybe I will work with special needs kids [someday]. Anything I can do to brighten their day or make their current situation better.

Anything you want everyone to know?

All of the glory belongs to God. There is nothing I have done and nothing I can do without God. It has been an incredible journey I have been through. When I was younger, I was really sick and the help he has given me and blessed me with I owe him everything. So it has been an honor to have the opportunity to give him the glory.

Lover of my cat, queso, UTSA, and the environment. Class of '20 Communication Major.