This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

So I’ve been dying my hair myself since I was about 13, and let me tell you… it has been a wild ride. I don’t know about you, but I tend to make really impulsive decisions and literally nothing can stop me once I’ve had the idea. That is basically how I ended up with five tattoos, a brazilian wax, front bangs, and just about every hair color to ever exist. But one thing continues to remain the same: the emotional stages you go through during any compulsive acts. In this case, I’ll be going over the 5 specific stages of DIY Hair Dyeing (at 3 a.m in your very tiny college apartment bathroom)

1. The idea

“You know what would look really good on you? FREAKIN OMBRE PINK HAIR. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, THIS IS CLEARLY SUCH A GOOD IDEA. WHY HAVEN’T YOU EVER THOUGHT OF THIS?” — your 2 a.m. brain

2. Driving to the nearest beauty supply store to buy your hair dye

“Okay what the hell is the difference between flamingo pink and cotton candy pink? They all look the same… wait I need bleach? How do I bleach my hair? *employee walks up to you* Yes, I’m totally a professional who knows what she’s doing”

3. Setting up your warzone workspace

This is when you realize your bathroom is far too tiny to be concocting a mad scientist potion of hair dye and you’re about 99% sure that you’ll pass out due to the fumes… but YOLO.

4. Actually dyeing your hair

Well, you forgot to buy gloves so now you hands are stained and you’re not even sure if the back of your head is actually covered so maybe you might have to wear a hat for a while…

5. The final look

“OKAY SIS, SLAY WITH THIS $15 HAIR DYE SESSION YESSSSSS!” TBH it doesn’t even look that bad… unless you get real close and see the patches that you missed and the slightly uneven color but who cares?! YA DID IT QUEEN.

I think of myself as a pre-adult who never really left her emo phase, but I have better makeup skills and my hair isnt as damaged. I'm 21 years old with a passion for dogs, food, and weird Netflix documentaries. In an ideal world. I would live in a home out of the city and foster 1564856 dogs but for now, I'll stick to wanting to be a high school teacher.
Dallasite located in San An / UTSA / Popsicle & Milkshake Enthusiast