Songs That Empower the African American Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

As we celebrate Black History month, we should take a look at these iconic songs, some of which voiced the movement #BlackLivesMatter way before it was even a thing. 

1. Billie Holiday – ‘Strange Fruit’ (1939) 

The man who wrote this song was Abel Meeropol. He was a white Jewish high school teacher, and was inspired when he saw a picture of a lynching. He said it haunted him for days, leading him to write a poem that would then become the lyrics to ‘Strange Fruit’. The song received criticism from just about anyone because it wasn’t common to sing about racism way before the civil-rights movement. It was a very risky maneuver.

2. Harry Belafonte – ‘Oh Freedom’ (1960) 

In the height of the Civil Rights era, Harry Belafonte ( along with the folk and blues singer, Odetta) released this song, leaving listeners with a very soulful and powerful message about African Americans savoring the blissful ‘freedom’ from racism and segregation.

3. Sam Cooke – ‘A Change Is Gonna Come’ (1964) 

The irony behind this song is a tragedy in itself. I read in an article that Sam Cooke was afraid to release this song because of the fact that it was a song he usually wouldn’t write/sing since he was a prominent pop singer that focused on producing “pop” songs. The song is about his experience with segregation and how he sees a future where everyone can get along. He wasn’t sure how the people would take it, and just when he was singing about a future where there’s an end to racism and violence, the worst had happened. Before the song was officially released, on Dec. 11, 1964 Sam Cooke was shot to death at a Los Angeles motel by the motel manager.

4. Marvin Gaye – ‘What’s Goin’ On’ (1971) 

Just as Cooke’s, this song also speaks tragedy. Marvin Gaye had been going through several difficult situations in the spring of 1970, from the passing of his duet partner Tammi Terrell, to the return of his shaken-up brother Frankie from Vietnam. Gaye had been asked to sing this song that addressed social issues such as war and equality. When Gaye’s company and even his boss gave the song a thumbs down, Gaye went out his way to release it either way. Good thing he did because the song was a huge success, having sold over 100,000 copies within the first week and even reached #2 on the Billboard Pop Chart.

5. Sister Sledge – ‘We Are Family’ (1979) 

The radio and club disco hit song was written by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards of the band ’Chic’. They were inspired when the Atlantic Records executive Jerry Greenberg described the Sledge sisters as “wonderful girls [who] stick together like birds of a feather” and ultimately were like family.

6. Bob Marley – ‘Could You Be Loved’ (1980) 

This song was written by Bob Marley and The Wailers while on an airplane. It can be assumed Bob Marley was talking about how the government tries to manipulate people into thinking whatever it wants the people to think and how we must formulate our own ideas and stay true to ourselves. Marley’s message is to love one another and never judge our neighbors. 

This recording is one of the last ones Marley released before his remaining years.

7. Michael Jackson – ‘Man in the Mirror’ (1987) 

Michael Jackson sings about how before making a change in the world, he has to examine himself first as a person and encourages everyone else to do the same. Jackson realizes the struggle people in poor conditions have to go through everyday and he wants to stop pretending to be naive to the situation. 

This track is one of Jackson’s most critically acclaimed songs, earning a Record of the Year nomination at the Grammy’s.

8. Tupac Shakur – ‘Dear Mama’ (1995) 

As the title states, this song is about Tupac’s own mother. A Black Panther activist, Afeni Shakur, was released from jail a month before giving birth to the artist. He mentions how he’s proud of his mother even though there has been heat between the two of them. He appreciates all the sacrifices his mother had to make for her children. 

The song peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 and he was the first artist to have an album reach the top of the charts while in prison.

9. Lauryn Hill – ‘Doo Wop (That Thing)’ (1998) 

This hit song talks about the conflicting modern relationships between men and women and how one or the other only think about “that thing”, a subtle reference to sex. Hill makes sure to emphasize how women need to respect their bodies and not give in so easily to men, and how men need to pull their heads from the idea that women will only “fall in love” if men have money and status. 

Lauryn Hill became the second woman to have a #1 hit song that she wrote, produced, and recorded herself.

10. Nas – ‘I Can’ (2002) 

Nas delivers a powerful message to the African American youth in this song. He raps about how children can achieve their dreams if they really commit to it and follow righteous decisions. He warns the young listeners not to fall into drugs, gangs and prostitution. In the third verse, Nas raps how Africa was so rich in knowledge and resources but were robbed by other civilizations. He goes on to say children can thrive in their futures if schools taught them the importance of truth and their African roots at a young age.

11. 10. J.Cole – ‘Be Free’ (2014) 

J. Cole’s message in this song is about police brutality but specifically the case of Michael Brown, a black man who was shot and killed by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri on Aug. 9, 2014. He uploaded ‘Be Free’ on Soundcloud six days after the shooting with the following message: 

“Rest in Peace to Michael Brown and to every young black man murdered in America, whether by the hands of white or black. I pray that one day the world will be filled with peace and rid of injustice. Only then will we all Be Free”

12. Common, John Legend – ‘Glory’ (2015) 

Written and produced for the soundtrack of the movie ‘Selma’, Common was evidently inspired from the 1965 Selma to Montgomery marches and the civil-rights movement. He stated the song wasn’t far from relevant to the Ferguson protests that started in fall of 2014. 

‘Glory’ won “Best Original Song” at the 2015 Golden Globe Awards and at the 87th Academy Awards.

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.