This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

My first trip to Las Vegas was when I was three, and I have been five times since then . I have fond memories of Vegas. I attended my first concert in Las Vegas, it was the Celine Dion concert. I was just three years old. I have seen shows, such as KA by Cirque Du Soleil and The David Copperfield show. I have been to the M&M store and the Avengers Station, The fountains of Bellagio, Rainforest Cafe, Wolfgang Pucks and the Mandalay Bay shark reef several times. They remain some of my favorite places to visit while in Vegas.  

This past Sunday, Oct. 1 the biggest mass shooting in modern U.S. history took place in Las Vegas. There were 58 innocent lives lost and over 500 people were injured. The victims were attending a country musical festival, when the unexpected occurred. Allegedly the gunman, a Nevada resident, began shooting from his room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay. The shooting lasted for about 11 minutes according to witnesses. 

Due to the tragic event, Las Vegas will never be the same. It is expected that many security precautions will be incorporated to help avoid similar events from occurring in the future. It is safe to assume that hotels in Vegas will check people’s bags when they check in. It is also possible hotels will now have metal detectors so they can be able to prevent these situations before they can occur again. Additionally, we can assume people will be somewhat paranoid and very precautious.  

I will forever remember Las Vegas as a place where many of my happiest memories took place. For many, sadly, their memories of Vegas will be fear, grief and anger. How will you remember Vegas? 

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.
UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor