Member Spotlight: Brenda Garza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

Name: Brenda Garza

Year: Senior

Major: Mass Communicaton with a concentration in Broadcasting

Hometown: Edinburg, Texas

What made you decide to major in Broadcasting?

Growing up I always knew I wanted to be on TV. I love helping people and letting people know about their stories in hopes of helping others. 

What is your favorite thing about UTRGV? 

Now, unlike when I first came here in the yonder year of 1999, everyone is actually pretty friendly if you yourself are willing to interact with people. Back then I was scared to talk to people, let alone professors and fellow classmates. Now, I see how stupid I was to be silent. It’s amazing the things I’ve learned, the people I’ve met and the organizations I’ve become part of.

What is your favorite class you’ve taken so far at UTRGV?

TV Production with Mr. Mann! My first semester back in school and he had been doing the exact thing I was so passionate about. He is literally the reason I’m at this school. I owe him a crazy amount of gratitude. 

What is your role within HCUTRGV? 

I’m the historian and a writer. 

What’s something people may not know about you? 

I’m an old school raver! I love Electric Dance Music (EDM). This scene and its music has shaped me to be who I am today. People in this scene are so accepting of you. If you’re an outsider, they will accept your difference and help you develop who you were born to be. I say this because, until I became part of the scene, I was very timid about letting people know about my true calling in life, broadcasting. I came out of my shell and wasn’t afraid to voice my opinion, wasn’t scared to say ‘this is what I want’, and for the first time, I was able to tell people this was the career path I really wanted to take. Their support helped me land my own tv show, be part of other tv shows, music videos, modeling gigs, promoter gigs and so much more. 

Victoria De Leon is a senior at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and is pursuing a bachelor's degree in Marketing. She plans to pursue a career in the fashion industry as a buyer. Fashion has always been something that she loves and is deeply passionate about. One of Victoria's goals in life is to inspire women to dream big and go after those dreams. She wants to be an inspiration to all the women who grew up in a small town that anything you set your mind to is possible.