Meet Yirla Rubi Gonzalez Nolan, Chair for Organization of Women Executives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

Yirla Rubi Gonzalez Nolan, a Mexican immigrant who arrived to Texas at the age of one, faced many challenges growing up as an immigrant; nonetheless, she was able to overcome adversity and is now a local Rio Grande Valley business owner and non-profit consultant. The Texas A&M Kingsville University graduate has over 10 years of experience in marketing, public relations, sales, communication, finance, event planning, fundraising and business development. She resides in Mission, TX where she serves as the chair for Organization of Women Executives, which gives business women the opportunity to engage and network with other women in the business community in order to be strong and successful. They educate its members by providing them with the skills needed in the workforce. While helping and empowering women through O.W.E., Yirla also serves as president of Faro Professional Services, director of Resource Development and Communications for the Boys & Girls Club of McAllen, vice president of finance for Junior League of McAllen, and programs chair for Femcity RGV.

HC: Tell us about yourself. How did you get started?

I am a 32-year-old Mexican immigrant who moved to the Rio Grande Valley at a year old. Growing up, I experienced poverty and many of the other adversities immigrants face. My parents always taught me that because of these same adversities, I would always have to work hard and stay humble. I graduated from Texas A&M University-Kingsville with a Bachelors of Arts in Psychology and a minor in English. My professional experience includes non-profits, banking, telecommunications and public relations. I currently am the Director of Communications for the Boys & Girls Club of McAllen and own my own business, Faro Professional Services. Through my business I am able to help job seekers with skills assessments, interview skills, and help them build their professional profile that might include a resume, bio, head-shot and more. We also provide business consulting where we help businesses develop a healthy business structure through training, project management and more. What I do goes hand in hand with the Organization of Women Executives where I get to share my passion of helping business women improve their skills and business opportunities.  

HC: What is the Organization of Women Executives?

Organization of Women Executives (O.W.E.) serves as an organization that advances the business and professional status of its members. Our monthly luncheons encourage women to network with other women in business in an effort to promote better business relations in all segments of the business community. We also provide workshops and information of skills women need in order to be strong and successful business women.

HC: How do you and O.W.E help women?

In business, we are used to seeing men as the “boss” or person in charge. Fact is that the number of women-owned firms has grown over 68% from 10 years ago. Women, in particular Hispanic women are opening businesses left and right or heading companies at an executive level. Research also shows that business women tend to give back to their community at a higher percentage than men. So O.W.E. and myself, want to make sure we are nourishing this growth by empowering women to lead in business and inspire young women to become business owners or executives.

HC: What are your goals for the Organization of Women Executives?

As president of O.W.E. for the 2017-2018 membership year, my two goals are the two main reasons the organization was started for 37 years ago; that is to educate women by providing skills needed in the workforce and to promote their business through networking and cooperation. 

Kenia is a junior at UTRGV pursuing a degree in Mass Communication with a concentration in broadcast journalism. She is part of the university's dance team and works as a reporter for the UTRGV TV.