This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

Kennedy Castillo

This month I’ve had two favorite shows that are both completely different. The first is “Glam Masters” it is a reality/competition show. Each episode of the show brings together four makeup artists, to compete in three different makeup challenges. Each challenge is different, some of the past challenges have been “Creating a completely waterproof makeup look”, “Doing an modern 80’s makeup look” and several other fun challenges. At the end of each episode one makeup artist wins, and at the end of the season the winners will all compete against each other, and one ultimate winner will be selected. I like the show, because I think it is one of the few shows that gives makeup artists a chance to show off their skills. The other show that is currently one of my favorites is “Riverdale” (Lol sorry Laura). I’m not even going to try to explain the show, because it would be way too complicated. What I will say is it’s based of the Archie Comic Book Characters, but the show is way darker than the comics. Season one started as a murder mystery, but it has become much more complicated than that in season two. I like the show, because each week it becomes more interesting and the end each episode usually ends in suspense. I also like how complicated the plot has become, because I really enjoy a good drama no matter how confusing it is. I recommend the show, but I definitely recommend watching from the beginning, because if you try watching the new episodes now you will definitely be confused.

Laura De Leon

I’ve been binge watching “Riverdale,” but I wouldn’t say it is my favorite show this month. The best way to describe “Riverdale” is to say it is a murder mystery show that uses the characters from the Archie comic books. Before I started “Riverdale,” I watched the final season of “LOVE” a Netflix series written by, Paul Rust, Judd Apatow, Lesley Arfin and David King, (great team of writers) that follows the relationship of, Mickey (Gillian Jacobs) and Gus (Paul Rust). The show tackles topics such as alcoholism, relationships and even employment issues, it is set in L.A where Mickey and Gus work in the entertainment industry. They meet by chance and and we see them grow as a couple and humans. Both Mickey and Gus have their flaws which we see throughout the entire series, but during the first two we only see Mickey as the one with the most issues and baggage. What I love about the third season is that we see a whole new side of Gus, one that we’ve only had glimpses of. I don’t want to give away too many spoilers but the final season takes Mickey and Gus through their most honest and raw fight, before I spill the beans, I’ll stop explaining and just ask you to look up the trailer to the series or watch it on Netflix because it is extremely underrated in my opinion.

Varesh Gorabi

Overall I love British drama, but if I had to choose, I would say Endeavour is by far one of the best detective shows I’ve ever watched. The main character’s name is unsurprisingly Endeavour Morse, a Detective Constable with the Oxford City Police CID. Morse’s attention to detail, love for opera and European literature, and his unwavering drive to find the truth, makes him a brilliant, and intriguing detective. Not only does Morse have quite the character, the others in the drama, namely Inspector Thursday, are also very deep and multi-layered, which becomes more apparent as the seasons go on. The investigations themselves are well constructed and there hasn’t be one where I could guess the ending. Not to mention the cinematography is amazing and helps viewers stay highly engaged throughout. Each episode is around an hour and a half and there’s five seasons so far, but the fifth one is not out in the U.S. yet, although it has finished airing in the U.K. Unlike some other shows, with each passing episode, I feel like the show is just getting better and better – the more interesting the murders and the relationships between the characters get. I’d recommend Endeavour for anyone who enjoys detective shows and even for those who don’t, but enjoy a level of mystery, drama and action.

Juan Pablo Hernandez

I grew up on a healthy dose of sitcoms, from “Family Matters” to “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” In the aughts, single-cam comedies like “Arrested Development,” “The Office” (U.S.), “30 Rock” and “Parks and Recreation” supplanted my affection for multi-cam, laugh track sitcoms. However, there’s one multi-cam series that has rekindled my love for the format: Netflix’s “One Day at a Time.” Based on the 70s series of the same name, the revamped comedy revolves around a Cuban-American family living in Los Angeles. The series tackles topical issues like mental illness, racism, sexuality, religion, immigration, among others.The sitcom stars Justina Machado as Penelope Alvarez, a single mother and Army veteran dealing with PTSD; Isabella Gomes as Elena Maria Alvarez, the feminist daughter of Penelope, who over the course of the series comes out as gay; Marcel Ruiz as Alejandro “Alex” Alberto Alvarez, Penelope’s son; Rita Moreno as Lydia Riera, Penelope’s mother; Todd Grinnell as Dwayne Schneider, the landlord of the building; and Stephen Tobolowsky as Dr. Leslie Berkowitz, Penelope’s boss and love interest to Lydia. The series is culturally significant to me because of its depiction of the familial Latinx experience. There weren’t many American sitcoms that featured Spanish-speaking characters or characters that looked like my friends and family when I was growing up. (Save for “George Lopez.”) I was too naive to understand the influence on-screen representation (or in this case, the lack thereof) can have on a young mind. Now, series like “One Day at a Time” (and CW’s “Jane the Virgin”) tell stories that Latinx audiences (and audiences in general) can see and identify with in return. So, if you’re looking to watch an unabashedly Latinx show that blends social commentary and ample humor, “One Day at the Time” is the show to watch. (On Monday, Netflix renewed the sitcom for Season 3. The 13-episode third season debuts in 2019.)

Cinthia Monsivais

Through the madness that is college with all the assignments and responsibilities it throws at us, I always find time to catch up on my favorite shows, rewatch old favorites, and find new ones to watch. My favorite genres to watch are comedy and drama, and this month I have been obsessed with a show that has the perfect balance of both. Created as a spin-off of the show “Black-ish”, an American sitcom centered around the Johnsons’, an upper-class African-American family, “Grown-ish” follows the eldest Johnson daughter, Zoey, through her journey in college and the real world. Since I don’t have time to watch the episodes when they air on TV, I catch up each week when the episode is uploaded on Hulu, which I don’t mind because I can watch it on my own time, cuddled up in bed with my snacks next to me, ready to dive into the life of Zoey, which includes all of her amazing friends, and her complicated love life.

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.
UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor