Your Mental Health Should Not Be Overlooked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Stress. It’s easily one of the worst parts of being a college student, and it’s everywhere. You stress about classes, friends, relationships, money and gaining weight. You even stress about stress. It’s a natural part of everyone’s life, and you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t experience it. But how do you know when it’s gotten to be too much?

When you’re crying in your room every night because you’re worried about assignments, it’s too much. When you’re skipping meal after meal because you can’t focus on food, it’s too much. When you literally haven’t slept in days, it’s too much. When you are consumed by stress to the point where your mental and physical health are both on a downward spiral, it’s absolutely too much.

Sometimes, you just have to stop what you’re doing and take some time to focus on yourself. It’s easy to push your mental health aside when you think there are more serious things to focus on. That’s why it’s important to understand that your mental health IS serious. It’s not something that can be taken lightly or ignored. If you’re not taking care of your mind, there is no way you can expect yourself to perform at the best of your abilities.

That’s why you have to learn that it’s OK to not be OK. If all of the stress in your life is getting to be too much, take a break. I’m not saying that you can just skip all of your classes and neglect any responsibilities, but you don’t have to give 100% every day. If it will be beneficial for you to skip a party and go to sleep early one night, then do it. There will be other parties. If you need to take a break from studying to actually eat a healthy meal, then take that break. If you constantly try to push forward without ever quitting, you’re eventually going to stop moving.  

There are other ways you can improve your mental health, too. Develop a good support system of friends and family that will be there for you when you need them. Therapy is also a great resource that UTM provides students for free, which is extremely valuable. Also, if you’re at a point where you feel you may need anti-depressants or anxiety medicine, don’t be afraid to see a doctor. There is nothing shameful about taking care of yourself.

Whether it’s simply taking a long nap every once in awhile, or going to weekly counseling, learn what your mind and body need to function well. It’s impossible to eliminate all stress from your life, but you do have control over how you handle it. Start putting your mental health first, and watch how much your life will improve.

Photo courtesy of Pexels.

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130