element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why I’m Happy Not Being in a Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

For most of my life, I feel like I’ve been known as the “single friend.” Every group of friends has one; the girl that’s always ready to party, give advice or even just hang out because she doesn’t have a boyfriend holding her back. It sounds kind of great, right? That’s what I always thought, too, until near the end of my freshman year.

Suddenly, it seemed like everyone I knew was in a relationship at the same time. I never minded being one of the single friends, but now I was the only single friend. It’s hard to go to parties when everyone in your group would rather stay in to snuggle with their significant other. Going out to eat with your friends isn’t as much fun when you’re the third wheel at the table. Even walking to class gets annoying when it seems like you’re the only one not holding hands with someone else.

I started letting it all get to me. When you’re single, it’s pretty easy to think negatively. You question what you’re doing wrong, and you start blaming yourself for not being in a relationship. I was jealous of my friends who would go out on fancy dates and get cute Instagram posts made about them. Even though I was still talking to guys and meeting new people, it never seemed to work out in my favor.

Then, one day, my relationship envy ended as quickly as it started. I realized that I was spending so much time worrying about not having a boyfriend that I forgot how much I actually liked it. While relationships are great and I’m thrilled for all my friends who a part of a happy couple, it’s just not meant for me at this time. Worrying about what I don’t have is just going to cause me to miss out on what I do have. I have the rest of my life to be in a relationship, but I won’t be able to be young and single forever. I’m happy to take advantage of the place my life is in right now and enjoy each day as it comes.

Now, this doesn’t mean I’m opposed to being in a relationship. I’m sure the future is holding something really great for me, I just don’t need to stress about it right now when I have so many other amazing things in my life to focus on. As cheesy as it sounds, the right guy will come along when I least expect it, and it will be meant to be.

Photo source: https://www.pexels.com/photo/rear-view-of-woman-with-arms-raised-at-beac…

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130