Taylor Swift Lyrics That Are Relatable AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Taylor Swift is a genius. There. I said it, and I’m not taking it back. Say what you want about her. Take your side in the Kanye vs. Taylor debacle. Do what you want because I know that at one point or another you had one of these songs or repeat for a week. Probably after your first fight with your best friend. Definitely after your first break up.

Taylor’s lyrics are comparable to nothing else. They tell stories that every one of us can relate to, and that’s what makes us love her so much. So, here it is: 10 Taylor Swift lyrics that are relatable AF.

Song: Better Than Revenge

What she says: “She’s not a saint, and she’s not what you think. She’s an actress, whoa. She’s better known for the things that she does on the mattress, whoa.”

Why it’s so relatable: We all have that one girl that everyone sees as a princess, but you know who she really is. She’s the quiet girl in the band everyone loves, but you hate her ’cause sophomore year she stole your boyfriend, but you’re not bitter or anything…

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Song: Fifteen

What she says: “’Cause when you’re fifteen, somebody tells you they love you, you’re gonna believe them.”

Why it’s so relatable: Tell me you didn’t believe a boy when he said he loved you when you were 15. I’ll wait.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​Song: All Too Well

What she says: “And I might be OK, but I’m not fine at all.”

Why it’s so relatable: At one point we have all convinced someone we were “fine”. We kept trying to tell ourselves and everyone around us that everything was OK, but we all knew it was a complete lie used to hide our emotions from ourselves.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​Song: White Horse

What she says: “Stupid girl, I should have known, I should have known.”

Why it’s so relatable: Hindsight is 20/20 as they say…Taylor knows just how that feels, and so do we.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​Song: Innocent

What she says: “Wasn’t it easier in your lunchbox days?”

Why it’s so relatable: There is a part in all of us that misses curling up in our parents’ bed after a bad dream. The days when mom could kiss away anything that hurt and when dad being the only man you’d ever love made more sense, and we were happier because of it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​Song: Clean

What she says: “Ten months sober, I must admit just because you’re clean don’t mean you don’t miss it.”

Why it’s so relatable: Getting over a breakup isn’t like getting strep. You can’t take an antibiotic for a week and be good as new. You can tell yourself a million times you’re better off without him, but, like Taylor says, that doesn’t mean you don’t miss him.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​Song: Look What You Made Me Do

What she says: “The world moves on, another day, another drama, drama but not for me, not for me.”

Why it’s so relatable: We all know what it’s like to have everyone “on your side” one day and then all of a sudden you look up and no one cares anymore. Whether it be a bad breakup or the split of a friendship, your friends get over things in an instant, and they expect you to, too.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​Song: Bad Blood

What she says: “Oh, it’s so sad to think about the good times, you and I.”

Why it’s so relatable: I’ll be honest, this one hits home. When you lose a close friend it sucks to think about what was once your best memories. All of a sudden the happiness you felt then becomes a sad reminder that you’re on your own now, and the person you once told everything to is a stranger.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​Song: 22

What she says: “We’re happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time. It’s miserable and magical, oh yeah.”

Why it’s so relatable: We’re in college. We are on our own and have just about nothing figured out, but that’s OK. The experiences we have and the memories we will make will shape our lives forever. It might be scary, but totally worth it. Life for us is exactly how Taylor put it: miserable and magical.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​Song: New Romantics

What she says: “The best people in life are free.”

Why it’s so relatable: We all need to stop being fake and start being who we are. Stop spending so much time and energy being someone who you’re not because the best people will love you for you; they’re free.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash.

I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.