Surviving the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

I’m still alive, but I’m barely breathing.

No, quite literally, the end of the semester never fails to make me feel like I’m suffocating. With a number of final class projects due, exams and assignments to do, and not to mention all of the social obligations surrounding the upcoming holidays, it’s no question as to why. I know I’m probably not the only one that feels this way – perhaps your stress shows up in different ways. Maybe you stress eat, or maybe you sleep to avoid your problems. Perhaps you’re a notorious procrastinator, or, if you’re anything like me, you probably cry a lot and have a handful of mental breakdowns in a day.

I’m here to tell you it’s OK! You are not alone in feeling this way. In the midst of all of the due dates and other obligations, it’s especially important to take care of yourself physically, mentally and emotionally. Here are some tips and some things to look out for this time of year.

Are you getting enough exercise?

I know that’s a dreadful word for some people. Making yourself go to the gym can be kind of rough, especially if cardio or weight-training isn’t your thing. At the rec, there are plenty of group fitness classes, like yoga, party cycle and shake and shimmy that don’t necessarily feel like just exercising. Even if that’s still not your thing, maybe try taking a walk around the quad, and enjoy some fresh air and the beautiful changing leaves. You’d be surprised at what exercising can do to improve your mood and your outlook on tackling either an assignment or something you just have to do.

Stop eating out so much.

OK, for me this is the pot calling the kettle black – I’m so guilty of saying that I don’t have time to cook or that I need something quick and easy. Really, fast food is so bad for you, and if you’re not careful, it can make you start feeling super sick. Maybe not necessarily nauseous or anything, but it can make you feel super lethargic and even more exhausted. If you must eat out, try grabbing a salad or a healthier option. Greens actually help keep your mind clear and make your body feel better…so long as you don’t load them down with salad dressing.

Make a to-do list.

So maybe the amount of stuff that you need to complete feels too overwhelming, or you’re just not sure where you should start. Try making a to-do list! Sort it by priority, and put things into perspective for yourself. Don’t think about how much is on the to-do list. Simply worry about tackling one objective at a time. You’ll feel more accomplished and have a better idea of what you should be doing rather than trying to do 15 things at once. Remember that you’re just one person, and don’t overwork yourself. Sure, that assignment that’s due tomorrow needs to get done, but if you’re stressing about it, it’ll only be that much more difficult to complete. If you’re not like me and don’t avoid your to-do list and you get on top of the things that need to get done ahead of time, you’ll be less likely to get overwhelmed and feel like school is this huge weight on your shoulders.

Get enough sleep.

I love sleep. I know that around this time of year with everything to do and everything that is due, it can seem like there aren’t enough hours in the day to get any sleep, but it’s truly so important to get a good night’s rest. When you don’t get much sleep, your immune system does not function properly, you’ll have trouble thinking straight, and you’ll just be downright tired and unable to focus. Not to mention the lack of being able to retain anything if you’re studying. If you think that all-night cram session is necessary, think again. Study a little at a time, make sure to get a good night’s sleep, and wake up a little earlier to study more the next morning. With sleep, your brain will be able to more efficiently process the information and store it for later rather than letting it go in one ear and out the other. You’ll perform better, and you’ll feel better.

Make time for self-care.

Yes, exercise and eating right probably seem like they might fall into this category, but what I mean is make sure that you have time to yourself, too. If you’re an introvert like me, take some time for yourself and restore your energy. Take a few minutes to meditate, listen to some music alone in your room, or maybe treat yourself to come coffee and enjoy it on your own. If you’re an extrovert, make sure you get plenty of your social time that’s not obligatory. Spend some time with your friends, go out to eat with a group or just go out and have some fun. You’ll feel so much better if you rejuvenate and restore your energy and motivation, and you’ll be more efficient when it comes to completing the tasks on your to-do list.

While the end of the semester can be so overwhelming, make sure to keep your physical, mental and emotional health in check. If you’re not taking care of yourself, you’re less likely to be on top of your game. Make sure to check in with yourself every once and awhile to see what your body needs, and most importantly, if you get too stressed or it just seems like too much, there’s no shame in talking to someone about how you’re feeling. Student health is a wonderful option on campus, or you could even call up a friend to vent. Handle your stress in a healthy way, and you’ll be much better off to finish the semester strong.

Photo courtesy of Twenty20.

I am UTM's Co-Correspondent and Events Director for Her Campus! I am a Psychology major with a minor in French and German, and I have intentions of going to graduate school and pursuing my doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology and specializing in working with children with mental illnesses and disorders. I am a cat mom, a coffee-drinker, a traveler, and a yoga instructor. I am a devout believer of people and animal rights, and I love to spread love.