I Got Married and Had A Baby…..In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

August 6, 2016. The date is engraved into my head for the rest of my life. I was 21 years old and about to vow my life to the 22 year old man who stole my heart. I was just about to start my third year of college. I’ll be married for two years of going to school to finish my degree, not to mention our little bundle of sunshine(baby) will be here too. If my heart could sing it’d be singing all the Disney princess songs of happiness. Then school started…. Fall semester of my junior year will be special for many reasons, but the fact I was taking 12 hours, was in the third trimester of my pregnancy(for those who aren’t fluent in prego talk that’s the finish line for pregnant women), and I had just married the man of my dreams. Perfect combination right? Perfect’s a tall order, and when you’re taking philosophy I downright won’t believe your life is perfect. Even is the professor is great. Who would’ve thought marriage was so hard? Or that taking hours upon hours of study time like I had done before would be so impossible with a tiny screaming baby. Or that, although your professors are being so kind and helpful you can’t help but feel lost throughout the course? There are many reasons not to do something, but the best reason of all to do anything is for a better future. I got married fall semester of my junior year. I gave birth to my daughter October 21, 2016. I stayed in school throughout all of that despite people telling me to take it easy. Why would anyone put themselves through all of that for any reason if it wasn’t to make a better future for themselves and their family? Being a mom is hard, being a student is hard, being a wife is hard, but the rewards of being a great mom outweigh it all. The reward of being a good student to better my future for my family outweigh it all. The reward of having a happy marriage outweighs it all.

There are hard days, extremely painful days even. And I won’t lie, sometimes I have missed a class just because I am overwhelmed and need to relax and I had quite literally no other time to do that. School is hard enough right? I’ve had to take my child to school with me because I have had no other, let me repeat, no other option. I’m sure sometimes you see those women who are trying to discreetly covering their screaming child, or trying to tow them around campus in order to turn something in or meet with a professor. If you see that- offer to help. Opening a door is a kind gesture and it sure hasn’t gone out of style for me. To all the moms out there fighting and even struggling through school, let’s face it we all do, keep the hope alive. You CAN do this. To all the women on this campus who feel like they’re in a sinking boat, you’re not. There’s always a way when there is a will. Find your will. Find your fire and ignite in your mission to create the best life you can. College is the time to take life seriously. So ladies…..BOSS IT UP.

Photo Pexels

My name is Christa Lannom. I am a senior Public Relations major at UTM and am happily married to my hottie hubs Andrew, with my adorably cute baby girl, Peyton. I love my little family and enjoy playing sports outdoors, going on adventures with my awesome friends, and hope to one day be the Director of PR for the Minnesota Vikings. SKOL
Brigitte Curcio is a Senior at the University of Tennessee at Martin. She is studying Public Relations and Women's Studies. She is from Connecticut and moved south for school to be on the Division 1 Skyhawk Rifle Team. She is a sister of Zeta Tau Alpha and she serves as Panhellenic President among many other leadership positions around campus. She is so proud that she is able to be a part of bringing Her Campus to UTM.