Dear Mom, You’re Not My Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Some people may say their mother is their best friend in the world, that she is the one person they can always go to. If they ever have an issue, they can go to their mother, and in my case, my mom is not my best friend, and I want to say why it is okay my mom is not my best friend in the whole wide world.

I see all these articles on why your mom should be your best friend. Well, I am here to tell you not everyone gets that opportunity. I wish I had it, but I don’t. That’s okay because she doesn’t have to be my best friend.

Growing up, I was not a momma’s girl, and maybe not even a daddy’s girl. (My sister had that under control.) My mom was not the person I went to when I got my first crush on a boy. She was not the one I went to when I was having a rough day and just wanted to cry. She was not the one I told when that boy I had a crush on liked me back. She was not my best friend in the whole wide world, and that’s okay.

As I was growing up, I was envious of those who had the perfect relationships with their mom and how they could tell their mom anything and everything, but because I did not feel like I could go to my mom, I went to my brother, who is my best friend in the world.

He was the person that I went to when I needed to talk to someone, and he was the one I went to when that boy finally liked me back and I did not know what to do. He was the always there for me when I needed him, and he continues to be there for even if we do not talk as often as we used to. 

Today, I wish I had a better relationship with my mom, but somethings cannot be changed. Some might say I just need to put in more of an effort, and I have– I really have. I wish I could call her and her answer on the first or second ring. I wish I could get a fast reply from that text I sent two weeks ago. I wish thing could be different, and I wish I did not have to explain to people why I do not have the best of relationship with my mom. I wish I did not have to see the pity in their eyes.

I am thankful for the relationships that I do have. I am close with my twin, my brother and my dad. I think of best friend’s mom as a second mom. She has helped in more ways than I can count, and I can never repay her for the kindness she has shown me. She is always there when I need her or if I need someone to talk to.

My mom is not my best friend, and that’s okay.

I am a senior at UTM, I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement. I am in Alpha Delta Pi, I am the President of the Criminal Justice Society at UTM. I love anything that has to do with cats and cacti.I am a proud cat mom, my cat's name is Kiwi. And I am a lifeguard at Magic Waters Waterpark in Rockford IL.