The Best Ways to Meet New People in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Everyone remembers what it was like to be a freshman. You’re suddenly in a completely new environment, surrounded by strangers, and it’s easy to feel like you’re alone. As scary as it may be, you’re definitely not the only one feeling this way. The following ways are the easiest ways in which I was able to make friends my freshman year, but this list is just the beginning. Look for friends in any place you can possibly think to because, most likely, there are going to be other people looking for friends there, too.

Classes

One of the easiest ways to get to know people is simply by talking to your classmates, especially ones in your major. These are the people you are going to be spending the next four years with, so you should try to build connections with them. An easy way to break the ice is by talking about an assignment or asking other students to hang out and study for the next big test. You’ll be able to bond over classwork, and you’ll probably realize that you have a lot of other stuff in common, too.

Roommates

When I first moved into my housing my freshman year, I was extremely nervous about talking to my assigned roommates. We all had different majors, interests and schedules, and I had no idea how we would be able to get along. One night when we were all home we decided to watch Mean Girls together, and we instantly bonded. Despite all of our differences, my roommates became my closest friends, and I was always hanging out with at least one of them. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your roommates even if it may seem like you have nothing in common. Chances are, you’ll become very close with them, especially since you live together and can almost always count on them being around.

Clubs and Organizations

One of the best pieces of advice I got when I started college was to go to the first meeting for as many clubs and organizations as I could, and then stick with the ones I really connected to. This way, you can get a preview of a lot of different things and then figure out where you would have the best time finding people with similar interests to you. Also, a lot of organizations have get-togethers outside of meeting times that include things like dinners and movie nights which are specially designed for the members to get to know each other. Take advantage of these events because they help serve as baby steps to eventually making your own plans to hang out with other members.    

Greek Life

When you look at any of the sororities at UTM, you instantly notice the bond that is shared by all of the girls who joined them. Sorority sisters spend a ton of time together working on so many events and fundraisers that it’s almost impossible not to build strong bonds with each other. Sororities are also a great way to build professional connections, and they provide a lot of opportunities to get involved on campus with things like community service and philanthropy.

Recreational Activities

Another great way to meet people is through activities at the Student Recreation Center. From intramural sports to group fitness classes, there are so many opportunities for students to participate and interact with each other while also creating a healthier lifestyle. Ask someone to go running with you by Pacer Pond or lift weights in the gym. You’ll either find a new workout buddy or someone that you can vent to about your hatred of cardio while you both leave the gym to go to Taco Bell instead. The Student Rec Center also has other activities like pool tables and ping pong which are really fun when you just want to get out of your dorm.

UTM is a great school to meet new people. No matter where you go, there is always a new activity or event that is going on around campus. The best advice I can give is to step outside of your comfort zone and try to find friends in places where you may not typically look for them. You would be surprised at how much you have in common with someone that may seem the complete opposite of you. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people, and try to be as friendly as you can to everyone you meet. Hopefully, you’ll be able to find a lot of new friends in no time.

Photo courtesy of Pexels.

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130