This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Most people can agree that having nice nails is a lot easier said than done. From hangnails to cracked polish, there are so many things that can go wrong. That’s why it’s important to take the time and effort necessary to make sure you are taking care of your nails the way you need to. Follow these tips, and you’re sure to have Instagram-worthy nails in no time.

Tip #1- Start with a healthy base. If painting your nails is like art, then think of your actual nail as the canvas. Before you can do any of the fun stuff with your nails, you have to prime them so you have a healthy base. Make sure you keep them clean, either by washing them or using a nail scrub brush. Use a buffer to smooth down your nail and get rid of any rough patches you may have. File your nails by moving the file in one direction over and over, don’t go back and forth. This is especially important if your nails are prone to breaking because filing back and forth can tear up your nails and make them rigid. You might also want to look into taking a hair, skin, and nail vitamin daily, such as Biotin if you want to make them stronger. Then, use a cuticle stick to push them back so your cuticles aren’t growing over your nail. Finally, add a base coat, and you’re ready!   Tip #2- Invest in good quality nail products. It’s hard to have nice results if you’re not working with good quality products. Although they can be expensive, name brand products like OPI, Sally Hanson, and Essie will work much better than a cheaper version. Also, invest in a wide range of products. Having different things like files, clippers, buffer blocks, different polishes and polish removers will prepare you for anything that may happen. If you think you might need it one day, chances are you probably will. It’s always better safe than sorry!

Tip #3- Don’t be afraid to spend extra time. The more time you spend on your nails, the better they will look. Make sure you’re not skipping any steps because a missing top coat could be the difference between polish lasting a day versus a week. Go slow and take your time during the whole process or else they could end up looking rushed and sloppy. Also, sometimes taking the quicker route like ripping off acrylics can be very harmful to your nails and can cause a lot of damage over time. It may be a hassle, but it will give you much better results.

Tip #4- Treat your nails gently all the way to the end. Nail care doesn’t stop once your polish is on. Probably the most important part of keeping healthy nails is removing your polish the right way. Proper removal is also extremely important when you have acrylics or gel nail polish, too. Just peeling them off is one of the easiest ways to cause damage to your nails, and it can sometimes be irreversible. Whether it’s simply using nail polish remover or soaking your fingers in acetone, follow instructions on how to remove whatever type of nail you have. It may seem annoying, but it’s really worth it in the long run.

Tip #5- Learn what works best for you. Like any part of your beauty routine, nails are unique to everyone. What works for some people may not work for someone else. Pay attention to your nails and what they respond best to. Don’t be afraid to go through a lot of trial and error in order to figure out the best routine because it’s going to take some failures to find out what you like the best. Learn your nail type, whether it’s weak and fragile or strong and thick, and let that help you form your nail care routine. By keeping them clean, healthy and cared for, you’re sure to have amazing nails in no time!

Photo source: https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-hands-woman-pen-110473/

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130