On April 22 more than one billion people will come together around the world to celebrate Earth Day. EarthDay is a chance for people from all over to voice their love and appreciation for Earth and to demand its protection. Knoxville is celebrating this day on April 21 at many locations but the most popular location is the Knoxville Zoo.
According to earthday.org, Earth Day was founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson. He was concerned that the health of the environment was not a concern for the political community. The idea behind Earth Day was to give visibility to the issue of national conservation. This day reminds people of the damage we are constantly causing Earth. This day brings up a lot of questions; the number one being, ‘How do I help with conserving our Earth?’
1. Carpool- if you live close enough to walk or ride a bike - do it. You not only will save on gas and decrease the amount of exhaust going into the air, you will also get exercise which increases your overall health. So this advice helps make you and Earth healthier.
2. Make your own cleaning supplies- I know, I know, who wants to clean let alone make their own cleaning supplies but it’s cheaper than buying ordinary products and makes your house smell better. For recipes go to: http://www.threadbanger.com/episode/DEC_20080401
3. Use energy efficient light bulbs- This one is really easy - you go to the store and buy them. According to Energy Star, "If every American home replaced just one light bulb with an ENERGY STAR qualified bulb, we would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes for a year, more than 10 million in annual energy costs, and prevent greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions of more than 800,000 cars." They also last longer so you save money as well.
4. Use reusable shopping bags - not only does this save you having to carry awkward plastic bags from the store, but many of these bags are easy to find in fun prints and colors. You can be stylish and help the Earth.
5. Use rechargeable batteries- Again, another easy one. Go to the store and many battery brands already have rechargeable types. This will also help you save money because you won’t have to buy new batteries every couple of months.
6. Don’t use paper or plastic dining utensils. Don’t be afraid to wash your dishes!
7. RECYCLE! We all know how to recycle. All over campus we have recycle cans next to the trashcans. There really is no excuse, they even tell you were/ what goes into which can.
These steps are really easy to follow and don’t really require any extra work. Just stay conscious of what you are buying and what you are doing with your ‘trash’ when you are done with it. Many of these tips help you save money and not waste. For more information about how to help conserve our planet go to http://www.earthday.org/.