This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Growing up girls usually always heard that if they wanted to lose weight and stay in shape they should only do cardio. It was taboo for them to lift weights. It was often said that if you were to lift weights then you would get bulky.

After doing some research, it was proven that lifting weights does not make girls bulky. It is harder for us to gain that much muscle because we lack testosterone. Bodybuilders are usually the only ones who get bulky and it takes a lot of training for them.

Now it is more common to see girls in the weights section of the gym. There are so many benefits that can come from incorporating weights in a person routine workout.

• Lifting weights burns more fat then doing just cardio alone.

• Building muscle mass give you the appearance of being slimmer

• Lifting weight burns more calories than cardio alone. This is because when you lift weight you continues to burn calories even after your workout

• Lifting weights is a good way to strengthen your bones. This can help protect you from bone diseases such as osteoporosis

If you are looking to lose weight or to stay in shape, adding weights to your gym routine will lead to many benefits.