This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

When an individual is considering starting a relationship with someone or is currently in one and the all forms of communication stops, this is called ghosting. It is a complete disappearance rather than telling that person that you are not interested or no longer interested. That individual just disappeared without explanation. It not only happens to romantic relationships but friendships as well. Let’s discuss why ghosting happens

Why does ghosting happen? Ghosting happens because people try to avoid emotional discomfort as much as they can because let’s be real, who likes to be broken up with? So  individuals figure if ignore whomever, then they can avoid that by just going MIA. Studies show at least 78% of Millennials have experienced ghosting in some sort of way whether it be a friendship or romantic relationship. I am part of this percentage.

When I was in my freshman year I met a girl, let’s call her Katie. Katie and I quickly became two peas in a pod and were inseparable right from the moment we met. We did the typical stuff best friends do and rarely did anything without the other. Fast forward to the start of my sophomore year, I was so excited to see Katie again as was she and we would hang out but not as often since we no longer lived in the same building. I would still call and text to see if she wanted to hangout but I was starting to notice that she would not reply as often and if I wanted to see her then I had to go out of my way to make plans with her. I then stopped reaching out to her because I wanted to see how long it would take till she reached out to me. She never did.

I passed by Katie in the hall one day with two of my friends and stopped her. I questioned her and asked her where she’s been and why we haven’t spoken as much. She didn’t know what to say and tried to that wasn’t true and we still spoke. But obviously that is not the case because if it was then ghosting would not be the focus of this article. I haven’t spoken to Katie since that day in the hallway.

Ghosting leaves an individual confused because they are left not knowing what they did wrong such as myself. Katie and I never fought, she just disappeared one day and I to this day, do not understand why. I attempted to figure out what went wrong in our friendship but she never gave me an answer. I would have rather had Katie just tell me that she did not wanna be friends instead of ignoring me. By her ignoring me, she hurt me more because I didn’t know why she did not want to be my friend anymore. Moral of the story, instead of ghosting a person, simply tell them that you’re not interested or you don’t want to be friends with them. It’s better to be honest with said person rather than to leave them confused and questioning what they did wrong.

Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.