Zayn Malik Leaves One Direction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Heart-Breaking News:

After 5 beautiful, influential, and magical years, the band that everyone loves to hate is officially dead. Songs like “What Makes You Beautiful” and “Best Song Ever” are now songs of the past. I don’t know what it is about British bands breaking girls hearts, (hello—the Beatles), but they always do and I’m not sure I’ll ever trust a British band again. 

This is bigger then a train-wreck, a plane crash, a natural disaster that dooms the band to a fiery demise. They have broken up. An inward attack. An inward explosion. After a few months of rumors that the hottest boy in One Direction—sorry Harry, Zayn does beat you, would leave the band it has become official. The boys released a statement on their Facebook on March 25 at 10:30 a.m. stating his departure. I’d like to formally coin this date and time as “The Time of Tears.”

The statement included a quote from Zayn saying “I’d like to apologise to the fans if I’ve let anyone down.” IF?!? IF?!?! ARE YOU JOKING ME?! Yep, you are letting down people. Zayn, duh. You’re a part of the biggest boy band the current generation can proudly say they listen too, let’s be real, if you were born in 1995 you probs weren’t at the Backstreet Boys concert. 

As a loyal fan though, I have to support the man I’ve dreamt about for the last five years. He also stated, “I have to do what feels right in my heart.” If this feels right to him, then it is right for him. I will always be loyal Zayn fan, I still remember the first time I saw his tattooed body, my eyes went wide with love at first sight. Then I heard him hit those higher notes and it was as if all of God’s angels decided to put all of the beauty of the world into one single sound, his voice. But if he needs to leave the band, then I’ll respect his wishes, despite having an inward emotional trauma. 

Lets get honest, we always knew Zayn was a little too cool for some of the songs that he was singing. Perhaps a solo album but by the looks of the statement, that probably isn’t on the horizon, he said, “I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight.”  We get it Zayn, you hate us as much as we love you. 

Simon Cowell wrapped up the heartbreaking words by saying, “As for One Direction, fans can rest assured that Niall, Liam, Harry and Louis are hugely excited about the future of the band.” Okay I’ll give the fifth album a listen, but without Zayn I might go in a different direction. 

Julianne serves in the role of Community Development Associate, directly working with chapters and expansion. She graduated from the University of Utah in 2018 with a triple major in Political Science, Film & Media Art, and Communications with minors in Health and Theater. Julianne served as a Campus Correspondent for Utah for 3 years, as a Chapter Advisor for 2 years, a Campus Expansion Assistant for 2 years, and as a High School Ambassador Advisor. New to Boston, Julianne can't wait to eat as much seafood as was deprived of her after living in the mountains for most of her life. In her spare time, she loves to ski, watch an unreasonable amount of movies, and write!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor