Your Weekend: Brought to You By Your Ucard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Don’t have any plans for the weekend? That’s about to change thanks to your UCard. You already know about the retail discounts you can get with a student ID, but did you know that your UCard gives you access to some of the most interesting activities in the valley? Keep reading to find out where you can get free or discounted entry!

Red Butte Garden – Free Entry

With winding garden paths and over five miles of hiking trails, Red Butte Garden is a haven to those looking to disconnect from the hustle of student life. There are quite a few tables and benches tucked away in the garden, so grab a map from the front desk and go exploring for a spot to picnic. Still on the study grind but don’t want to fight for a spot in the library? Red Butte Garden has a quiet, glass-enclosed atrium perfect for a homework session. Located in Research Park, it’s still technically part of the University of Utah’s campus!

Natural History Museum of Utah – Free Entry

Just across the street from Red Butte Garden is the Natural History Museum of Utah. The architecture of the building, let alone the fantastic displays, is reason enough to stop by and check out the museum. On display are huge dinosaur skeletons, gemstones, animals, plants, insects, textiles, and other aspects of Utah’s natural history. Walk through and play with the interactive displays, or visit one of the special exhibits that the museum hosts for a limited time. After walking around, stop by the café in the museum and grab a bite to eat. You can sit outside on the deck and get an amazing view of the entire valley.

UtahPresents –Free/Discounted Entry

Located at different concert and event halls around campus, UtahPresents brings a huge variety of events to campus. Fan of TED Talks? Concerts? Dance? Theatre? You’re in luck because UtahPresents offers it all. Check out the UtahPresents website to see a list of upcoming events!

Pioneer Theater Company – Free/Discounted Entry

Theater fanatics rejoice — shows performed by the Pioneer Theater Company are free or discounted for University of Utah students. Housed in the Pioneer Memorial Theater on campus, Pioneer Theater Company puts on a variety of shows throughout the year that are sure to leave you entertained. Students can get free tickets to the preview night of a show, $5 tickets to a current show one hour before curtain, or half-priced reserved seating tickets if you’re planning ahead.

Utah Museum of Fine Arts – Free Entry

After being closed for nearly two years, the newly remodeled Utah Museum of Fine Arts has opened its doors to the public once again! Artists and non-artists can find common ground while wandering through the museum and admiring the current exhibits. It’s fun to see the blend of abstract, modern, traditional, and interactive artwork on display! This museum also offers a great Café, so take a break from getting Panda Express in the Union cafeteria and check out what the UMFA has to offer.

Now that you know about the newfound power your U-Card has, go out and take advantage of it. Have a great weekend, Utes!

Hannah is a Senior at the University of Utah studying Kinesiology and Sports Nutrition. When she isn’t in class or working at one of her jobs, you can find her hiking with her dogs, reading, or fervently adding more pictures to her Pinterest Style board with a chai latte in hand. Find her on Instagram @hannahjanelangley
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor