This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.
It’s Thursday night. Or Friday night. Or even Tuesday night. You and your girls are ready to prowl the downtown SLC streets ’cause your over the magical age of twenty one and feeling thirsty. Grab your heels, throw on that leather jacket, take a shot, and call an uber. This is your cheat sheet to five of the best bars in downtown SLC. I wish you and your livers a swift recovery. 

Bar X & Beer Bar 

Did you know that you can get fries at Beer Bar? Neither did I. But I’m basically smitten. That and because a Wasatch Brewing Co. beer costs $5. Anyway, BarX and Beer Bar are attached bars. BarX offers all the mixed drinks and shots you could ask for. While Beer Bar offers a nice range of brew. You probably won’t find a seat in the super dim BarX, but Beer Bar is accommodating to groups looking to sip on beer and chill. Whether you’re starting or ending your night, either bar is going to be great for you. Especially because they’re not as far downtown, meaning that Lyft isn’t going to be as pricey if you’re heading back up towards the U. 

Whiskey Street 

A lot of college students don’t go to Whiskey Street. They say that it’s because it can have ‘older people’ and that’s not appealing. Regardless, I’ve had some of my best nights in Whiskey Street. Yes an older guy is probably gonna hit on you, but hey free drinks! It’s a classy establishment, and while there is a lot of seating there’s a chance you won’t get to sit. Embrace the proximity to other fellow bar enthusiasts. They have a wide variety of drinks. On average a whiskey and coke will run you $6+ and specialty drinks are around $9+. Whiskey Street is perfect if you’re having a chill night with friends or meeting that 25+ year old hottie you know. 

Cheers 2 U 

Grab a round of $3 Mind Erasers and say, “Cheers!” This place may look like a dive bar, but it’s populated by all your collegiette friends. The prices are cheap, the location is prime, and it’s honestly the place to be (other than Twist) on a Friday night! So what if you’re arm to arm with way too many drunk people? Cheers is a super long bar, so you can actually go towards the back and maybe find some space. Maybe. Either way, it doesn’t matter. If you’re in Cheers you are looking to get drunk. No doubt about it. Take warning though.. If you come to Cheers plastered from your pregame you may not get in. I have seen them turn many overly drunk girls away, regardless of her pleas. 

Twist 

Twist is the current favorite. If you ask any of your friends who are over twenty one, they will likely say they go to Twist all the time. The problem with popularity is that getting into this bar is difficult. I have tried to wait through this line four times. It’s usually cold, and I’d rather be at one of the many other amazing places on this list. This bar is included on the list simply because it’s so loved. If you want a solid chance of making it in, I’d definitely hit it early. 

BeerHive Pub

Chipotle beer is a thing. Beerhive is a must for anyone that loves beer. The menu is seriously a page of cool beer that anyone who doesn’t know beer will never have heard of. I speak from personal experience. Anyway, take your S/O or that hottie from Chem class here, because the atmosphere is classy and kind. They’ve got pool tables and more seating in the basement if you’re looking to get away from the crowd. If you don’t like beer don’t worry. They offer a decent selection of mixed drinks & alcohol. 

Pie Hole 

No. Pie Hole is not a bar. But this is a guide to a SLC bar crawl, and no bar crawl is complete without ending at the Pie Hole. They make the most delicious, greasy pizza you will ever come across… and you can also get a beer here. You’ll drunkenly walk to the Pie Hole regardless of distance only to wait in a line that is too long… but once a slice of their pizza is in front of you you’ll be the happiest drunk human alive. Trust me. You’ll take an uber home feeling stuffed, drunk, and pleasantly happy. The only way to end a night in downtown SLC.

Pop-culture nerd, feminist, gamer, student. I drink too much tea and always have my head in a book. I write the nerdy stuff for HerCampus Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor