This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

How many collegiettes forgot to send out/write their Christmas cards? Or maybe you never even have sent a card by the ol’ snail-mail? It is nearly impossible to remember with the stress of finals and craziness of Christmas, so I have adopted a new tradition to write New Year cards instead. New Year cards are better because they don’t get lost in the endless piles of cards decorated with holly leaves and a jolly Santa on the front. New Year cards are far more memorable. 

With the extra time, your New Year cards can be creative and unique to your special personality; here are a couple examples of cute DIY cards that I will be sending to everyone on my list: 

Here are a few tips for writing and getting those cards out there!

1. New Year cards can double as thank you cards! The best part about sending a New Year card is that you can quickly say thank you to whoever got you a gift also, it is a great way to send your gratitude and tell them about your plans/goals for 2016!

2. Make them glittery! There is no better time to use sparkles and glitter than New Years, and maybe you’ll even make it onto the fridge with all that festive glitter.

3. You don’t have to say “happy holidays.” Thank God, because sometimes I feel like a broken record…New Year cards are pretty much a blank slate for you to thank them for being part of your life the past year and wishing them a good coming year.

4. Include photos! You have the extra time so take it and print out some fun photos or finally get rid of some of the polaroid’s you have piled up.

5. Don’t send them too early, if you send it before Christmas they will think you were late on your Christmas card and are using this as an excuse. Which you are, but they don’t need to know that. 

Writing letters is always a good habit to get into, it makes the other persons day and reminds you why they are important in your own life. So get ready to ring in the New Year with personal letters and cute DIY activities because that’s what these cards are all about!

I am a current journalism student at the University of Utah. I have spent my years in college studying, traveling, and writing. I am a campus writer for the University of Utah and have my own blog Beautiful Detour. If I am not on campus I am hopefully off in another country meeting new people...or lying in my bed under a million blankets watching that day's netflix binge.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor