Why You Should Always Be Trying To Make New Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Making new friends: a concept that when we are young is constantly discussed, pushed and drilled into our heads.  It’s the reason teachers switch seats in Elementary school, our parents’ sign us up for so many extra curricula’s and we talk to random kids at recess.  After junior high though, we have our set friend groups, and the focus shifts from making new friends to worrying about ourselves and building those already made friendships even stronger.  Don’t get me wrong, focusing on yourself and making stronger friendships is very important but in order to make the most of this world, we should never stop making new friends. 

You never know what someone new may have to offer.  When you have one set group of friends you also have one set group of interests, skill sets and preferences.  You have one set group of people to learn from and grow from.  Branching out creates so many opportunities that you may never know about if you don’t try.  Who knows?  Maybe you’ll meet someone who loves skydiving and encourages you to go with them.  Or maybe you’ll find someone who loves Scrubs just as much as you do and you have a new person to Netflix binge watch with. 

It’s a life skill.  Continuing to make new friends is important in all situations, there will be some where it is not an option and you have to make new friends in order to survive a new circumstance.  Went out of state for college?  Moved states in high school?  You know what I’m talking about then.  If you practice making new friends in all situations, especially when it’s easy, you will be much more comfortable making friends in situations that are do or die.  Take the chance to learn this life skill when it’s more low risk, versus in situations where it really counts. 

You learn more about yourself.  For each person you meet, each new family member you get the chance to interact with, and each new quirks you get to run into- you learn a little bit more about yourself.  Have a friend who constantly bites her nails and it drives you crazy?  Well, you just learned a new pet peeve of yours.  Or, have a friend whose family is super close and has dinner together every Sunday night?  Now you know something you’d like to aim for when you have a family of your own.  With each person you encounter in your life, you continue to learn about yourself by the act of comparison. 

It makes you a better friend, which is a benefit everyone involved.  Making new friends does mean less time for your old friends but that isn’t always a bad thing.  Time apart can be good, especially if it means more quality time together.  Plus, when you make new friends, you learn to really appreciate your old friendships and it reminds you to value all of your old memories.  It also encourages you to continue to make new ones. 

Sometimes old friends move or graduate. While long distance friendships are totally possible, you don’t want your life to be empty if a friend were to move or graduate.  Making new friends across the board and age groups is always a good idea to keep your bases covered.  You don’t want to be that one senior who always hung out with the older kids and then doesn’t have any friends at school for her last year. 

I think I can speak for every collegiette when I say college is hard to survive, and without friends it would be nearly impossible.  Remember to branch out though and don’t let yourself get in a friendship rut.  More friends? Never a bad thing. 

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor