Why Time Shouldn’t Matter in Relationships. Ever.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Each day we have 24 hours, and seven to ten of those should be spent sleeping; what else do we do to fill our time? There is an unlimited amount of ways to spend each day. Sometimes each minute is full of value and others are spent on hours of Netflix and excess sleep. There is one place that time shouldn’t matter:  in your relationships. When we see a couple become engaged after only a few months of knowing each other we want to roll our eyes and jump to conclusions. There is an opposite side to this situation and that is when people hold back. 

Love starts from the bottom of your toes and works it’s way up until you have such an explosion of sparks in your chest you don’t know how to contain yourself. Our generation has been tricked into thinking that this feeling, this majesty happens on a timeline.

When you wake up in the morning do you think about what you are going to do? The answer is: most likely. Do you think about all the possibilities about something as simple as a bowl of cereal? Hopefully, you don’t think this way because going through that thought process would be a waste.

Time is valuable and there are so many ways we can spend it. Why spend it holding back on something you want?

We may be able to calculate the speed of an object with an equation, but the speed of love is immeasurable.

I think we tend to forget that our relationships aren’t run by anyone else but the two people in the relationship. It is like clay that is molded by two people in whatever form they wish shape. No other hands should get in on this masterpiece that is being crafted for the two.

There are no speed limits nor is it a race.

Everyone moves at his or her own speed in the love world. I never realized the importance of the quote “when you know, you know” until I knew.

I don’t think there should be yellow lights or stop signs when it comes to being with the person you want to spend all of your time with. I think it should be a rollercoaster of speeds and one of the best rides of your life. 

Being in a relationship, having sex, kissing, wanting to be together forever are all things that are between two people. Do them on your time, do them when it feels right to you. Otherwise, you’re giving your time to fit with someone else’s timeframe. Be bold and be brave or stop and go back. It’s up to you because no two people or relationships are the same.

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"