Why I’m Excited For Recruitment: From a Sorority Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So recruitment is just around the corner and I am teeming with anticipation to find my new sisters! This will be the first year that I will be recruititng and not being recruited. Seeing all the work and time put into making everything perfect by the time the door opens on the first day to show the new girls our house has made me realize that recruiting might be more fun than going through recruitment. 

1. Making New Friends

By going through recruitment you meet so many other girls that you normally wouldn’t have a chance to meet! Honestly, as a freshman I was pretty timid and had a hard time walking up to people to start a conversation. Recruitment took that right out of me! It forced me to stand in a line with girls I had just barely met and then walk into a house full of girls that were complete strangers. Slightly terrifying, but also the best thing that has ever happened to me. Going through recruitment forced me out of my shell and to talk to people I never thought I would have and some of those people are my best friends to this day but being on the other side of the door has forced me to bond with other sisters that I wasn’t as close to. 

2. Hanging With My Sisters

College is crazy and my sisters are some pretty involved women, it’s hard to find time to spend with the whole chapter all in the same room. But, during recruitment everyone comes around the house more and it’s the most fun and loudest week of my life! The week of getting ready for recruitment, we have all laughed together, cried together, fought each other over pizza slices, and been dancing so hard that pictures literally erupted off the walls. Try and tell me that doesn’t sound like a good time. I dare you. 

3. Free Food

Because duh. Sorority girls eat more than salad. Promise.

4. Showing What Sisterhood Means To Us

This hands down is what I am most excited for. I’m not sure I quite understood Greek life until I was in it. The bond you share with your sisters is something I believe no one can put into words. You just feel it and during recruitment we, as a house, get to show everyone what our sisterhood means to us.

5. Finding Your Friends For Life

Since going through recruitment I have found my family of friends that I know will always be there for me. I found my home away from home at our house. I found the same love and support that my own biological family gives me from my sisters. I found my people and I cannot wait for you to find yours.

Proud owner of a Hulu Plus account, Netflix, and HBO Go with none in my name. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor