Why the 21st Century Hunt for Oppression has Gone Too Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The Salem Witch Trials – a period in history that still makes us sick to our stomachs. Men and women were accused of witchcraft and lost their lives and reputations because of false accusations that young women initiated. Of course, there were no actual witches, but the terror that accompanied the possibility of witches was very real. This same type of hoax has been repeated throughout history with the Red Scare of the 1950’s serving as the perfect example: the fear of communists was widespread, and many individuals’ reputations and occupations were threatened. Joseph McCarthy, in particular, was an integral part of the “Red Scare,” and he accused anyone who disagreed with his political views as disloyal to the government; many lost their jobs and credibility because of his oppressive influence in government. Were communists as widespread as he, and many others, ascertained? Absolutely not. But the fear of communists was everywhere, and this is what fueled the scare.

Fast forward to the 21st century, and we are experiencing another wave of a different type of “witch hunt.” This time, it’s a hunt for bigots, sexists, racists, and any person or object that discriminates against traditionally oppressed groups.

Of course, this new 21st-century hunt cannot directly compare to the Red Scare or the Salem Witch Trials – people are not demanding that Kendall Jenner be burned at the stake because of her Pepsi ad, and there are no mandated government hearings to determine who is racist and who is not. Essentially, we are definitely living in different times…but the widespread fear and accusations that characterized both movements of the past are exactly the same.

People are beginning to label commonplace objects, people, and even babies – yes, babies – as racist-sexist-bigot-xenophobes (take your pick). 

For instance, milk – the beverage that helps strengthen bones, and that was featured in an entire ad campaign with celebrities from Taylor Swift to Serena Williams – has been labeled as “racist.” The drink that perfectly complements warm, chocolate chip cookies is now racist. Why? Apparently, it represents white supremacy because it is white, and members of the alternative right were drinking it. I believe any rational person can agree that this belief is completely ridiculous. 

We now live in a world where most objects, phrases, etc. can be deemed as offensive. Requiring a person to be on time is considered racist, remarking on a woman’s clothing (only the clothing) is considered sexist, and the examples continue. Society is reaching a point where every individual must tread on eggshells in public, and be wary of every expression because deemed as “oppressive.” 

An environment like this has a chilling effect on free speech and expression – many no longer feel safe to express their beliefs or opinions because they fear the same type of persecution that pervaded Salem and 1950’s America – this is especially disturbing in the country that promotes freedom above all else.

In no way should racist, sexist, xenophobic, or other oppressive behaviors be justified; oppression is wrong, and should never be condoned. There are many oppressors today who still hold archaic beliefs about humanity, and their toxic viewpoints should not be supported. It is very important that we, as a society, have begun to recognize that oppression in all forms is wrong, and have made great strides to rectify the wrongs of the past; nevertheless, moving from one extreme tyranny to another does not resolve the issues that so desperately need to be resolved. Firing volatile tweets will not solve anything. Accusing people of oppression when they are merely offering facts about a particular issue will only create more divisiveness. Labeling others as “intolerant bigots” or “racists” because they possess opposite viewpoints is ironically intolerant. Initiating violent protests, threatening free speech, and persecuting others who differ in beliefs only creates more animosity. 

Violence creates violence. Peace creates peace. 

Clearly, there is a large disparity in the country when it comes to political views and current events. Labeling, violently protesting, name calling, and identifying those who oppose you as propagators of “hate speech” simply because they oppose you, is wrong.

The views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of Her Campus, Her Campus Utah, or any of its affiliates. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor