What I Learned in Mexico: Part One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

During fall break, I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Cancun, Mexico for a lush vacation. I planned it way back in June and couldn’t wait to get away from school and work for an entire week! It was also my first out-of-country experience, and I don’t travel on airplanes very often. In many ways, it was refreshing, and I learned a few things while I was gone.

1. Airport rules can be intimidating, even if you’ve checked three times to make sure you’ve followed the guidelines. Going through customs was stressful! I even had my bag searched when we arrived in Cancun (and twice in Salt Lake!). I didn’t have anything to hide, but it is still kind of scary to have someone publicly go through your items.

2. You have to bring sunscreen! A woman we were with paid about $23.50 for a medium-size bottle when she ran out. That much for sunscreen?! Well, you need it, and they know that, so they can sell sunscreen for outrageous prices. Find some on sale and pack it with you if you’re going somewhere sunny.

3. Bartering is an acquired skill, but it can be fun! My boyfriend was a pro. We ended up getting some fun things for more reasonable prices and had great relations with shop owners. They expected us to ask for lower prices, and often times they would flat out offer them. If you get a good deal and they can sell some items, everyone wins.

4. I have taken four semesters of Spanish, but I didn’t get to use much. Lots of people spoke English. Many times when I would ask someone a question in Spanish, they would answer in English, and we would have a whole conversation that way. Kind of interesting. However, I did manage to practice my Spanish and pick up a few new words.

5. It’s great to be home: in my house, with my family, at the U, driving in Salt Lake City, and being in familiar places where I know how to act and react in my surroundings. Mexico was gorgeous and a wonderful getaway, but home is very comforting. I gained some extra appreciation for familiarity.

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!