What To Do When You’re Feeling Sad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Sadness is something we all have felt at some point in our lives.  Some of us feel sad more often than others.  On days where nothing seems to be going right try a few of these tactics to make your sad day a little bit better.

Listen to upbeat music

When you’re sad you often want to listen to music that matches your mood.  Try listening to upbeat music that makes you happy.  Sing along at the top of your lungs and dance around your room to your favorite Disney song or the newest Beyonce hit.  If you listen to happy music, your mood is soon to follow the tone of the songs.

Watch funny videos

It’s safe to say that the majority of humankind loves animals.  Nothing is better than watching video after video of dogs doing silly dances or cats making funny faces.  Watching a bunch of silly videos on something you love (like adorable otters eating their favorite snack) can improve your mood.

Workout

Working out gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy! Following advice given by our queen, Elle Woods, try to attend a workout class, the gym, or just go on a quick run.  Exerting your negative energy into a physical activity is sure to boost your mood and make your body feel happy and healthy.

Eat your favorite food

Whether you make it yourself or order takeout, you deserve to treat yourself! Eating your favorite food will put you in a better mood or at least fill your stomach with happy vibes.  

Volunteer

Volunteering is a helpful way to keep yourself grounded.  Your life is put into perspective when you help people who are less fortunate than you. It is hard not to feel happy after witnessing the work you’ve done impact others for the better.

Accomplish a goal

Even if it’s small, completing something when you’re sad can help your mood improve by knowing that you are able to accomplish a task.  For example, you can color a whole page in a calming coloring book, or you can tidy up your bedroom.  

Watch your favorite movie

Whenever I’m sad I watch Moulin Rouge or the 2003 version of Peter Pan.  Without a doubt, my mood is improved even if it just the slightest bit.  It’s helpful to watch a movie that you know and love because there are no possible surprise endings to make you ever sadder.

Go to sleep

If all else fails, go to sleep early and know that tomorrow will be a better day.

Hope this article helps you if you’re feeling down!

I have a deep love for mermaids, pitbulls, swearing, and all things involving food.  Shania Twain is my spirit animal and I'm a converted Belieber.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor