This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As you may have noticed, the Associated Students of the University of Utah (ASUU) has undergone some changes for the start of this school year. This year’s student administration is The SLC Party, led by President Jack Bender, Vice President of University Relations Matt Miller, and Vice President of Student Relations Jessica Patterson. A main focus of their platform was the Identity of ASUU. These members of the Executive Board, along with Chief of Staff Hans Harris, have been working to use new branding of ASUU to educate students and faculty about the role that ASUU plays on campus. The administration is also focusing on University and Community Engagement, to increase student safety on campus and assist students in finding jobs, internships, volunteering opportunities, and more. Additionally, the administration is passionate about lowering student fees and seeing where the appropriation of those fees are being dispersed.

How can I be involved with ASUU? There are many ways, and it is never too late to get involved. ASUU is comprised of 14 student-run boards, each with a specific purpose. “I enjoy seeing students find a place within ASUU. We offer a wide range of opportunities and events to be a part of as a member and volunteer of an ASUU board” said President Jack Bender, “we want to be here as a resource for any student on campus”. Visit asuu.utah.edu/boards to find a description of each board and the contact information for the Directors.

This summer, ASUU administration spent hundreds of hours creating a new office space that fosters creativity and collaboration amongst individuals that drives real change. You may have noticed that the cubicle-style layout has been replaced with moveable tables, so that students can arrange the furniture in a style that best fits the purpose of the day. I sat down with Chief of Staff Hans Harris to ask him about his thoughts. Harris discussed how “ASUU has a renewed focus on being active, transparent, and immediate in serving the student body,” continuing on to say that, “we are here to serve the students of this University.” You may know that ASUU provides registered students groups with funding and hosts fantastic concerts, but you may not know that ASUU provides child care assistance for students with families, and fun the only counseling center on campus where students can meet with a therapist free of charge. ASUU also supports the Campus Food Pantry located in the Union, offers emergency loans and housing assistance, and can connect students with legal help.

Overall, there is much more to ASUU than ever before. ASUU administration has been working tirelessly all summer long to start the school year off right. As a student, take advantage of what ASUU has to offer! Visit the link below to check it out!

http://asuu.utah.edu/ 

Living life to the fullest with a spirit animal that is the combination of Hermione Granger and Leslie Knope. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor