Utah Plans to Make A Difference for Women Through UN Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

What would the world look like without girls with their personalities and passion for life and wanting to change the world for the better? This is why we have an army filled with women that are eager to make a difference for other women and girls around the globe. 

The UN Women promotes the empowerment of women nationally, and many chapters around the country are thriving on the capability on impacting women internationally. 

The main goals of the organization are to stop any form of violence or discrimination against women, along with empowering women politically and economically around the world, protecting mothers and girls’ health, and helping women participate in peace negotiations. These goals are extremely important to the organization because while there are conflicts around the globe, girls, women and our elders are the ones affected the most. 

The main issues that women are dealing with everywhere range from domestic violence and abuse, sexual violence and assaults, lack of education, and unfortunately, the list goes on. For example, some people can safely say that there are not enough women that are represented as leaders, especially in politics.

With many committees throughout the world, the US is one of the donor countries that donates money toward many issues that women may face. That includes human trafficking, domestic violence, etc. That makes the various chapters around the US a part of the United States National Committee (USNC) of UN Women. From that, there are chapters, which support the USNC around the world. 

Victoria Baird is the president and co-founder of the Utah chapter of UN Women and running this organization has changed her life for the better, and hopes to make a difference in other women’s lives. “I have always been passionate about human rights, specifically girls and women’s rights,” says Victoria Baird,  “Throughout my life, I have always participated in various nonprofits and unpaid organizations, but I’ve always wanted to create my own.” 

Back in 2012, Victoria watched the movie, “Half the Sky”, on PBS, which explores the oppression that women worldwide struggle with, and it was shocking to what she discovered. “After watching the documentary, I knew I wanted to do something,” said Victoria. “ The documentary listed links on ways you could get involved and how to help women around the world, and then UN Women popped up.”

While she was browsing the UN Women website, Victoria came across the different chapters around the country and realized that there was no chapter in Utah. “I figured that I was well-connected so my friend, Nikki Eberhardt, and I organized our plan, just the two of us,” said Victoria. “Then in 2013, we became an official chapter of the UN Women!”

There were some big accomplishments that the Utah chapter of UN Women made in the beginning and one of them was the funding board. “They were amazing and connected individuals for being a part of a nonprofit and unpaid organization,” said Victoria. “They were able to get the word out about UN Women in Utah, and it definitely wasn’t an easy job!” 

Another accomplishment the Utah chapter had was having two articles published in the Deseret News and on KSL.Not only does the chapter talk and advocate about women’s issues – they also fundraise! “Fundraising is one of the hardest things you have to do for an organization because you are basically begging for money,” Victoria says. “However, we were able to fundraise for our events that got us some nice money to establish the chapter and be recognized locally.” 

An example of one of their first successful events was their participation in the 2014 Color Run here in Salt Lake City. “With us being the featured chapter and rounding up an amazing set of volunteers made the event memorable for us!” says Victoria. 

With all of the amazing successes that the chapter has fulfilled throughout these few years, there were some struggles that Victoria has faced while trying to promote Utah’s chapter. “We are sometimes not accepted and we receive the cold shoulder,” says Victoria. “However, this is my business and I learned that if some people do not like it, I am okay with it.” 

Some other struggles that the chapter faces internally is knowing that running a nonprofit is not as easy as it looks, as well as fundraising. “With all of the struggles that our chapter deals with, I have learned to not get offended, because, in the business world, you have to learn to not be affected by peoples’ choices are feelings.” says Victoria.

With all of the wonderful events put on by the Utah Chapter of UN Women, Victoria’s personal favorite event was their ‘He for She’ gala back in July of 2016. “We as a chapter support many organizations that came out of the UN Women, making one of them ‘He for She’, a group that promotes gender equality here in Utah.” says Victoria. UN Women Utah collaborates with various organizations around the Salt Lake valley, along with YWCA, Women of the World, and the South Valley Women Center. 

“We do several volunteer events for YWCA, while we help local refugees adjust here in the valley with Women of the World, and provide feminine hygiene products or any items that any group may need.” says Victoria. 

“This internship has changed my life and has brought me so many opportunities,” says Vlada Yaremenko, a local intern for UN Women Utah. “Through USNC for UN Women Utah I have met so many amazing and strong women who inspire me every day, and together we work towards the same goal.” Vlada says the relationships and skills she has gained through the chapter are lifelong memories. “I am blessed to be a part of this organization and work closely with the chapter board, especially Victoria Baird,” Vlada says. 

All of the interns for UN Women Utah say that this organization has changed their lives by engaging with the community to help advocate for women’s rights within the United States and abroad. “I have learned what it is like to be on the board for such a prestigious organization and the responsibility that comes with the position,” says Kristin Fagerback, head of the PR Board for UN Women Utah.  “I love how all the women that work for the organization has such a zeal to fight for women’s rights.”

UN Women Utah has put on events such as film festivals that broadcast films about women’s oppression, awareness events, and the Women’s march.

Grew up in the ocean of LA and in the mountains of Park City. I have the biggest passion for writing music... and also skiing. I was on the Dr. Phil show. Not for my problems, just for reacting to someone's discipline problems. I'm obsessed with shopping, Starbucks, Rap, EDM, and binge watching of Criminal Minds.  Follow me on the gram: @sophia_hella
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor