Updating Your Fall & Winter Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Fall and winter call for new outfits, profile picture changes, and stashes of junk food as final exams loom before us. They also call for updates to your skincare routine, as sweater weather can make even the most resilient skin a little sensitive. The following products are perfect for keeping you moisturized without causing breakouts during the busy semester.

First up is the Philosophy Purity Made Simple cleanser to take off stubborn makeup, even waterproof mascara. It’s already considered a staple by many because it can be used without water, making it convenient on days when you’re too lazy to shower. Best of all, it has a lightly hydrating formula that won’t dry out your skin and promises to tone as well. You can purchase it online from Sephora here.

Next is Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-Free Toner, which simultaneously reduces oil and heals dry patches. It’s comfortable PH balance and alcohol-free formula means it’s gentle enough to use twice a day after cleansing; in fact, it contains natural extracts proven to soothe and hydrate skin without irritation. It can be found here. Or, for a cheaper alternative, reach for Dickinson’s Pore Perfecting Toner which is also 100% natural and can be found at most drugstores, or on their website.

After cleansing and toning, complete your skincare routine with this GinZing Energy-Boosting moisturizer from Origins. It’s ginseng, coffee bean, and other fortifying ingredients give skin a healthy, refreshed glow with a citrus scent that will wake you up before early morning classes. Reviewers say the cute, vibrant packaging and quickly absorbing consistency are also a plus. You can find it (and the matching eye cream) here.

If you’re looking for an extra dose of moisture in addition to daily care and don’t already have the perfect products, consider Lush’s Oatifix mask. It’s made with oatmeal, bananas, and vanilla to solve dryness, along with almonds to exfoliate and eliminate dullness. More information is at this link, but you’ll have to stop by a Lush store to buy it. If online shopping is your thing, try out First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask (right here) with similar features plus botanical antioxidants.

Exfoliating is a key step, especially in the colder months; it prepares your skin to better absorb all the goodness from moisturizers and other treatments. Beauty gurus say this Neutrogena Healthy Skin Exfoliating Scrub is just like exfoliants from the brands Fresh or Murad but without the hefty price tag. It’s infused with White Tea and Vitamin E which work together to promote softness and radiance, and can be bought from Ulta or Walgreens, or through this link.  If you’re into DIY, a homemade brown sugar scrub is a good dupe. Try this super easy recipe from Bellatory: mixing brown sugar and olive oil (add honey for extra dry skin) to moisturize your face while unclogging pores and removing toxins.

Lastly, implement a face oil to supplement your regimen. For example, Clinique’s recently released Smart Treatment Oil has a triple antioxidant blend that nourishes skin’s ability to repair itself. A drop or two goes a long way, and reviews say it also helps clear up breakouts, blemishes, and redness. It can be found here. A more natural alternative is Josie Maran’s pure Argan Oil, known for its intensely hydrating and anti-aging properties. It’s also available at Sephora through this link

Don’t let the upcoming Utah winter get the best of you –  or your skin! Always keep hydrated, wash your makeup off before bed, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor