Update Your Dorm in 6 Easy Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

You are out on your own, living away from your parents — this is the time to decorate to your personality! Her Campus Utah is going to help you venture away from your juvenile home bedroom and make your dorm room complement the new, slightly more grown-up you!

1. Invest in a Color Scheme

Every sophisticated dorm room needs a color scheme, even if it’s subtle or involves several colors. It just has to look intentional. Having a mismatched or clashing bedspread and accessories makes your dorm look sloppy and smaller. A good place to start is to pick your favorite color and then choose two complementing tones to use as accents. An easy place to bring your primary color in is your bedspread or duvet cover. Add pillows in your other colors for variety and comfort. Mirrors and lamps are subtle places to add coordinating pops of color.

2. Frame Your Photos

Photo collages are neat, but take it one step further and try to hang most of them in frames. To create an artistic vibe and break up the blandness of white walls, cover a wall with different sized and shaped frames. Do not let your favorite photos from home hide in an album — show them off with frames that suit you.

3. Curtains, Curtains, Curtains

Most dorm room windows are only equipped with the standard white shades that hardly block light — let alone add any style. Finish off the window with the help of curtains. They are easy to hang and add dramatic flair to any space. If your window is small, just hang one curtain and tie it in the middle for an updated look that will make your room look bigger!

4. Use Standing Shelves

To avoid having numerous storage bins around your room, use a standing shelf instead. They will open up floor space and come in virtually any size, so you can find the right height and width for your dorm. For a moveable, versatile shelf, get a cheap, pretty bar cart from Target or Ikea. Anything that takes the clutter off of your desk and the floor is super functional and also perfect for displaying all of your meaningful trinkets from back home.

5. Get a Convertible Couch

It’s time to ditch the iconic bean bag chair and update to a convertible couch. Not only do they offer more seating, but most of them can also be pulled out to make a bed, which is perfect for when friends or family visits. If your bed is lofted, these sleek couches will fit perfectly underneath for a relaxing study spot.

6. Tie it All Together With a Rug

Tie your room together with a rug for added color and comfort. Make the space your own with minimal design or splurge for an oversized, plush one. The key with rugs is to make sure that they are large enough to fit under at least one part of your main furniture. For example, have it come out from under the side of your bed. No matter which way you choose to display your rug, having one can make your room look complete, bigger and more inviting.

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!