A University of Utah Student’s Guide to Fall Hiking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The brisk air and falling leaves signify the start of your favorite time of year. The end of the blistering heat, sweater weather, and hot drinks are just a few of the reasons fall is THE BEST. But just because summer is over doesn’t mean the outdoor activities need to stop! Fall is one of the greatest times of year for hiking, especially in the Utah mountains. If you’re new to Salt Lake City or just have yet to fully explore the outdoor scene, here is your guide to taking advantage of northern Utah’s hikes.

The Living Room

You can really call yourself a Salt Lake City resident once you’ve taken a victory picture atop the rock “furniture” at the peak of this hike. Located near the Natural History Museum, it’s a super convenient hike to get to from the University dorms. On the trail, there are countless views of the Salt Lake Valley and photo ops.

Trailhead

Distance: 4 miles round trip

Difficulty: Moderate

Dog-friendly? Yes

Donut Falls

While this hike could qualify as a tourist attraction in the summer, Autumn brings a welcome break to the crowds. With a wide trail (and only a slight incline), it’s an easy stroll to a beautiful waterfall.

Trailhead

Distance: 3.5 miles round trip

Difficulty: Easy

Dog-friendly? No

Lake Blanche

For a slightly more ambitious hike, Lake Blanche is a bit longer and more elevated than Donut Falls. However, the end result is a beautiful lake that is stunning in the fall. Two smaller lakes are also accessible from the trail: Lake Florence and Lake Lillian. The whole area is heavily signed so you don’t have to worry about getting lost.

Trailhead

Distance: 7 miles round trip

Difficulty: Moderate

Dog-friendly? No

These are just three of Salt Lake City’s beautiful hiking trails that are even better in the fall. You can find more information on these hikes as well as many more trails here! What better way to make the most of the months before ski season than to enjoy the gorgeous mountains and views. Happy hiking, collegiettes!

For tips on how to be everyone’s favorite hiker, check out The Hiker’s Code from Utah.com!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor