University of Utah Opera Department Presents: A Christmas Carol

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This weekend, the Opera Department of the University of Utah is premiering their Christmas Opera at the Grand Theatre! This performance presents Amahl and the NIght Visitors, an opera in one act. The story centers around Amahl, a disabled boy who can only walk with a crutch and has a problem with telling tall tales. One night he is amazed when he sees three splendidly dressed kings, the Magi on their way to witness the birth of the Christ child, standing outside his door. This charming and heartwarming story, told through the eyes of a child, is a delight for audiences of all ages. Following the next act, is the world premiere of “A Christmas Carol,” a new adaptation of the classic Dickens novel presented in one act.

I had the pleasure to sit down with our two directors, Dr. Robert Breault and Anthony Buck, along with the composer, Michael Leavitt. I also had a chance to interview our two leads for each act, Daniel Johnson, and Jared Lesa. Interested in seeing these two heartwarming stories? Keep reading! 

Jared Lesa, leading character of Amahl and the Night Visitors

Her Campus: What is the synopsis of Amahl and the NIght Visitors? 

Jared Lisa: Amahl and the Night Visitors is the story of a young, crippled boy named Amahl who experiences an incredible miracle through his encounter with the three wiseman on their way to deliver their gifts to the Christ child. 

HC: What is your role within the performance?

JL: I play one of the three kings, Melchior. He is the most openly spiritual king, taking several moments throughout the show to share his hope and faith in the Christ child’s mission. 

HC: I hear that A Christmas Carol and Amahl are very similar stories – how do they differ to combine the whole opera?

JL: Amahl and A Christmas Carol are not very similar in terms of setting or general plot, but the lessons they teach on selflessness and the value of honest goodness are incredibly speical. Both shows really highlight how beautiful life can be for those who learn to give themselves for the benefit of their fellow men. On a lighter note, adorable little boys on wielding crutches both feature quite heavily in both stories!

Jared Lesa tells everyone to come see this show! These are just a few things that have brought so much of the Christmas spirit into his life! 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Daniel Johnson, leading character of A Christmas Carol

Her Campus: What is the synopsis of A Christmas Carol

Daniel Johnson: Ebenezer Scrooge is a miserly fellow with no friends and he thinks of no one but his own money. Through the visitation of four spirits (his deceased partner, Jacob Marley, and three spirits representing his Christmas Past, Present, and Future), he is converted to the ideal of caring for his fellow man, an ideal that is particularly strong in the world around Christmas time. 

HC: Who do you represent in A Christmas Carol?

DJ: I play Ebenezer Scrooge! 

HC: What is it been like playing the role of Scrooge in an “abridged” version of this show?

DJ: I do not know that I would call it “abridged”; Anthony and Michael adapted the text of the novel to fit into the structures of an operatic performance and the time constraints they were given, and this is common in the operatic adaptation process. I enjoy the show; Michael’s harmonies show some imaginative fusion of jazz and operatic styles, along with an extended harmonic palette that has made it a challenge to learn. This is the first operatic role I have ever premiered and it is also the first role ever written specifically for me, both of which are very exciting and not common events for a singer, especially a student singer. 

Daniel Johnson wants everyone to come see the show! He believes that this is a unique and special opportunity, so take advantage of it!  _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Michael Leavitt – Composer  Musical Style Within the Show 

Her Campus: What is your partake on this Christmas opera?

Michael Leavitt: It is a new opera, a new setting of Dickens A Christmas Carol that Anthony Buck, who wrote the lyrics for the opera, talked to me at the beginning of the summer and was like, “Hey, let’s write this together!” and I said, “Okay!” However, we did not begin writing it until the beginning of the semester, but we wrote the show in about eight weeks. 

HC: What setting does the opera take place in?

ML: It is a contemporary setting with contemporary music; it is very “American” musically speaking even though they try to make it sound British. However, it still fits the opera world pretty well! 

HC: How does the music in this show differ from the Classical scene?

ML: The instrumentation itself aligns with having a more contemporary sound. We are basing the instrumentation off of Amahl and the Night Visitors, which will be performed in the second act of the same production. Instead of having a romantic-era sound, we are going to have a more modern-like sound, with an English-horn, the percussion setup, as well as the idioms that are used in the composition style are very contemporary. There are even some moments of jazz in there, but in an opera setting. It is really fun! 

HC: What inspired you to write this style of music for the opera?

ML: It was mainly coming up with some themes for each of the characters and developing those themes as the characters developed. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Dr. Robert Breault – Director of Opera  Utah Opera Department Background and Partners Joining the Show

Her Campus: How are yearly operas scheduled around the semesters?

Robert Breault: These productions are part of the year-long presentations that we make. We usually do an opera in December, which is this upcoming one, and we also do another one in February, along in April. 

HC: This Christmas opera is not going to be shown at David Gardner Hall, where will the production be performed? 

RB: So, this opera is the first one that we are doing at the Grand Theatre. We are doing it as part of their whole season. It started off as a collaboration with Seth Miller, who runs the Grand Theatre because he used to do lights for our shows here at David Gardner Hall. Ever since he started running the Grand Theatre, he asked us if we wanted to hold our show over there. 

HC: I hear there is also going to be a brand new orchestra joining y’all, could you give the readers a background of who they are?

RB: We are going to be doing this opera with Sinfonia Salt Lake, which is a new professional chamber orchestra, directed by Dr. Robert Baldwin. This opera is a collaboration between the Grand Theatre, the University of Utah, and the professional orchestra. What is really great about this is that the students who are working at a professional level are having high expectations of them to make sure they do a phenomenal job. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Anthony Buck – Assistant Director  Behind the Story 

Her Campus: What is your role as the Assistant Director of the Opera?

Anthony Buck: I am directing A Christmas Carol, and I also put together the libretto (lyrics) for it. However, I also have directed Amahl and the Night Visitors two other times, and have sung in it. So I am very familiar with the show. I also have directed a musical theatre version of A Christmas Carol. I know both of these stories very well and I love them; they are beautiful stories. Working on this production has been very cool, especially with a great composer, Mike Leavitt. 

HC: How are the two different shows, A Christmas Carol and Amahl and the NIght Visitors, combined in this certain production?

AB: So, they are not combined – they are two separate shows taken place on the same night. How we decided to combine these two shows together, however, is an interesting story. Amahl and the Night Visitors is a one-act opera, so we needed something else to fill the evening. I was in a meeting with Dr. Baldwin, the conductor of Sinfonia Salt Lake, and Dr. Breault, the Director of Operas here at the University, last spring, and we were tossing around ideas of what could be done and Dr. Baldwin said that he had done two different shows in one night with Christmas carols in a ‘Dickins’ style. I then went to Mike and pitched the idea and he responded, “Charles Dickins A Christmas Carol! Let’s do it!” That is all how it came to be! 

HC: What has been your favorite part in directing this opera?

AB: To me, the story of A Christmas Carol, is much more than about Christmas. I think the holiday itself plays a small role in what the show is really about. It is a story about our responsibilities to each other as human beings. I selected material from the Dickens novel to highlight that aspect. Also, it is just so fun to be part of making a brand new production; we knew who our cast was going to be – these roles were written for these singers to do these roles. 

This is a show you do not want to miss!! Tickets are on sale for this upcoming performance! Buy them here! http://sa1.seatadvisor.com/sabo/servlets/TicketRequest;jsessionid=3F83C329FAD7FB7FE5C4BF9A8EB346F9?eventId=1036373&presenter=GRANDTHEATRE&venue=GTMS,GTBS&event=&version= 

Grew up in the ocean of LA and in the mountains of Park City. I have the biggest passion for writing music... and also skiing. I was on the Dr. Phil show. Not for my problems, just for reacting to someone's discipline problems. I'm obsessed with shopping, Starbucks, Rap, EDM, and binge watching of Criminal Minds.  Follow me on the gram: @sophia_hella
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor