This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The term “depression” carries a very specific, highly exaggerated connotation – typically images of teens clad in all black, moping about, perhaps lamenting their sorrows and struggles through sad poetry. Though it’s easy to paint this character as a harmless and even humorous punchline, this lighthearted attitude has sobering effects. Despite recent increases in media coverage concerning the mental illness, the pervasive stereotype continues to outshine any attempts at public education. This results in a culture which, absurdly enough, recognizes depression exists, and yet still insists that those who suffer from it are somehow overdramatic. With so much misinformation available, it is necessary (and about time) to establish the truth about depression, and bust the persistent myths that contribute to social ignorance.

Myth #1: Depression isn’t real – you can choose to be happy.

Truth: Though we are constantly bombarded with inspiring quotes such as “Happiness is a choice!” and “The body achieves what the mind believes!”, the concept of mind over matter is scientifically disproven in the case of depression. Evidence collected and thoroughly researched by medical professionals proves that there is an alteration in the release and/or uptake of brain chemicals (called neurotransmitters) in a depressed brain. Three specific neurotransmitters called serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine are found in abnormal concentrations in cases of depression, which in turn, alters brain function. If chemicals anywhere else in the body were found to be off balance, this would certainly be considered a cause for concern – so why should altered brain chemistry be any different?

Myth #2: Depression is just being sad all the time.

Truth: Though feelings of sadness are certainly present in many cases, the term “sad” does not accurately describe the mental state of depressed individuals. Mayo Clinic lists several other symptoms of depression, including irritability, hopelessness, emptiness, exhaustion, lack of interest in hobbies, impaired thinking, and decreased sex drive, and these are just mental symptoms. Physical effects can include body aches, headaches, nausea, and slowed body movements. This is not even a comprehensive list – depression can manifest in many unexpected ways, all of which can severely impact a person’s life.

Myth #3: Depressed people can never feel happiness.

Truth: Depression does not prohibit normal feelings or emotions. Even those who suffer from incredibly severe depression can laugh and enjoy themselves, however, it may not feel the same as it used to. Brian*, a college freshman who struggled with severe depression in high school, describes the experience as “an out of body sensation – one second you’re laughing at a joke, and the next you’re sucked back into your head and you just fall silent.” And the severity isn’t necessarily consistent. He continues, “There were nights that I had a great time out with friends, and I thought maybe I had gotten over it or something, but in a few days [the feeling] would always come back.”

Myth #4: Depression is a lifelong problem.

Truth: There are several types of depression, categorized by how long and how often the symptoms occur. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America describes the first type, Major Depression, as occurring in waves which may reappear only once, or quite frequently in a lifetime. The second type, Persistent Depressive Disorder, is characterized by less severe symptoms that last for upwards of two years. Therefore, depending on diagnosis and circumstances, an individual can be severely affected for a short period of time, moderately affected for many years, or anywhere in between.

Myth #5: All depressed people try to commit suicide.

Truth: Although suicidal ideation is a hallmark symptom of depression, it is not always present, and even if it is, it may not be acted upon.  The American Psychiatric Association notes that although a significant majority of those who commit suicide suffer from depression, another mental disorder may be the cause, and depression may not account for the full story. With that being said, suicidal thoughts are nearly impossible to cope with alone. If you or a loved one is struggling, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

Myth #6: You can just “get over” depression.

Truth: Although, as mentioned, depression can come and go with no provocation, many people need assistance coping with it. Whether this is in the form of therapy, medication, or both, it is much more effective (and less emotionally destructive) to employ some form of support than to simply wait it out. In most cases, antidepressants can help make depression more manageable, and reduce the rates of reoccurrence later in life. A disorder that wreaks such intense emotional and physical damage such as depression should not be fought alone, and suggesting that someone “get over” their symptoms is not only insensitive, but also a completely impossible demand.

Depression affected an estimated 16.1 million adults in the United States last year alone, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Sadly, many of those people did not receive proper treatment and support due to harmful stigmas that affected the viewpoints of themselves and those around them. As a society, we must understand that depression is not fake. It is not a weakness. It is not a cry for attention. It is an incredibly serious mental disorder that can tear apart and even end someone’s life. If we are to provide an environment in which those who need help are not afraid to ask for it, we must start by putting an end to the myths and stereotypes that make people ashamed for struggling in the first place.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor