Top 5 Thrift Stores Every Collegiette in Salt Lake Must Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Thrifting can be an art if you know how to do it right! The first step is knowing where to go to find the best deals and highest quality clothing. Use this list to start perfecting your collegiette closet.

1. Pibs Exchange

This thrift store took number one because the selection is constantly changing, very unique and always in good condition. Pibs is perfect for the collegiette who has her own unique style but isn’t looking to break the bank for it. The store is pretty big so there’s no doubt in finding an awesome piece every time! It’s definitely the best thrift store to head to if you’re in search of a last minute outfit for a date! It’s also the go-to place for costume accessories now that Halloween is right around the corner.

2. Mountain Thrift Store

Mountain Thrift makes it into second place because of its amazing sales! What collegiette couldn’t use a %50 off sale? On (almost) every holiday, Mountain Thrift will advertise half off the entire store for its customers! The last sale was on Labor Day and they even do half off days for holidays like Presidents, St. Patrick’s, and Valentine’s Day. Last year around this time they held a half off day in October for a fall celebration so like their page on Facebook to keep up to date on their sales. This is the perfect store to hit up if you are in the mood to haul!

3. Deseret Industries

Some collegiettes may be weary to venture into a D.I. but it is the most popular place for people to donate clothing and there are so many locations around Utah, it had to make the list! Remember, thrift shopping is like an art. It’s the search for a diamond in the rough and D.I. is the perfect place to search for that diamond! Deseret Industries is putting out new donations every day from open till close so the selection is continually different. It is also one of the cheapest thrift stores on the list and therefore perfect for a hauling session.

4. Decades Vintage

Decades Vintage is a magical store on State Street and 600 South. It is the priciest of all the thrift stores on this list but it is by far the coolest to visit. Decades is packed full of vintage dresses, jewelry, decorations and accessories. Every collegiette could use some classy pieces of jewelry in her collection and this is the perfect place to look for those additions. Because it is a little pricier Decades is the place to go to slowly add pieces you love to your collection rather than haul a bunch of items for your closet!

5. Uptown Cheapskate

This thrift store takes 5th because of its convenient location, high quality inventory and awesome fill-a-bag sale. Uptown Cheapskate will also purchase your clothing so bring a bag and see what you can get for it! If you donate an item during the fill-a-bag sale (unfortunately the next isn’t until March) you get to stuff a bag as much as you can with sale items for $10. This thrift store has already found the diamonds in the rough for their customers so it’s a great place to buy nice jeans and clean, new shoes.  

Kristen is a junior at the University of Utah. She's majoring in Linguistics and banking on the idea that it will allow her to live around the world for awhile! She's enjoying living off ramen noodles and mixed drinks (what else do you expect from a college student?).
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor