This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Die Antwoord is a South African hip hop group that specializes in a type of culture called “Zef”. Die Antwoord is comprised of Yolandi Visser, Ninja, and DJ Hi-Tek. There is no denying that they are an odd group, seen from their music videos and music. Their music is not like what we are used to, but it makes it all the more fun. Not only is the music odd, the actual members have some weird quirks to them as well.

1. Ninja and Yolandi were originally a couple 

Our fav South African group started off as a couple with a child named Sixteen (yup you heard that right). They broke up a few years ago, but they are still best friends and work together professionally. They admit that Sixteen was an accident, but they don’t mean it in a bad way. Yolandi also adopted a child named Tokkie who was originally from a rough neighborhood and a poor family. There is not a lot of information about their kids but they are featured from time to time on both their mom and dad’s instagrams.

2. Ninja Has A Lord of The Rings Tattoo 

I couldn’t find a picture of it, and that is because he covers it up with makeup because it “isn’t very gangsta.” Ninja is the last person that I would pin as a LOTR fan, but hey don’t judge a book by its cover. 

3. Their Real Names Are Just As Weird As Their Fake Names

Yolandi’s real name is Anri Du Toit while Ninja is Watkin Tudor Jones or “Waddy”. They will not answer to those names however.

4. They Cut Each Others Hair

Wonder where they get their interesting do’s? They do it themselves! Yolandi and Ninja’s interesting haircuts are done by giving each other haircuts. In Yolandi’s case, her mom used to cut her hair but she began to refuse to cut her daughter’s hair in that odd style so she turned to Ninja to do the deed.

5. They’re Good Friends With Jack Black

Jack Black met the infamous group by attending one of their shows and meeting them backstage. The rest is history. Black even had a verse on their song “Rats Rule” where we can hear Jack Black rap a full verse.

6. David Fincher Asked Yolandi To Star In “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”

Yolandi was offered the lead role in “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”, but she turned it down to focus on music. Just try and imagine Yolandi starrring in that movie and what it would be like.

There are probably a dozen odd facts about Die Antwoord, but at their core they are good, nice people who just want people to enjoy their music. I had the chance to see them when they came to Utah, and they are just as incredible live as they are on the radio. If you don’t listen to them, hopefully this article will make you want to.

HI there! My name is Ailee and I am a political science and sociology double major at the University of U! I want to get into law school and I love to write!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor