Taking Things Lightly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Tranquillo! Tranquillo!
Amidst this giant foreign city, in a bus overflowing with exhausted and overheated people, I recognize my own voice gasp, “tranquillo.” The bus slams on its brakes to a screeching halt narrowly missing a pedestrian.  I look around distressed to see the other passengers left entirely un-phased. Suddenly it becomes apparent, I am not in Utah anymore.

Bienvenidos a Buenos Aires, Argentina!

People are talking, talking in a Castellano, a dialect of Spanish that sounds rather Italian. Words are uttered in long yet swift and emotional drawls – It’s beautiful. And so is the city. A perfect blend of Paris and New York with a Latino vibe have mixed to create a vibrant, green, and eclectic city. I immediately fall head over heels in love with Argentina and cannot even begin to imagine how hard leaving is going to be after this semester.

Each day after school, I wander the narrow streets of the city in hopes of discovering something new. Even when that has meant getting completely lost and engulfed in dread and anxiety, I have realized that it’s important to just keep moving forward. Adjusting to a new culture is stressful and hard, but if you don’t sweat the small stuff and just allow yourself to experience you’ll find an independence you never knew you had. In a way it’s reinventing everything that you have ever known to become a better person.

I once heard a quote by Yvon Chouinard the renowned outdoor businessman of Patagonia, he said, “ For me, when everything goes wrong, that’s when the adventure starts.” And I think I will just go from there, I’ll start by ordering blindly off a menu and seeing what I get (as seen as in the picture) and end with opening my heart to this city and letting my blonde-American self become a Porteño

Lexi Jones is a senior with a double major in journalism and anthropology at the University of Utah. Born and raised in Salt Lake City, she loves exploring the outdoors, rock climbing, music, and writing. She is currently a museum aid for the Bureau of Land Management. She has interned with LDS Living magazine as a writer, the Utah Museum of Natural History in the anthropology lab, and the National Society of Leadership and Success as a founding chapter president. Her inspirations are Mark Twain and Paulo Coelho. Lexi aspires to be a freelancer for National Geographic. Always pursuing multiple passions, she is currently applying to graduate school for a Masters in archaeology and a Juris doctorate, and yes, she does plan to enroll in both at the same time.