element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Single Girl’s Guide to Cuffing Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Urban Dictionary defines “cuffing season” as a time “during the Fall and Winter months when people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be “Cuffed” or tied down by a serious relationship. The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed.”   Even if we didn’t have a name to put on it we all know what it is.  Cuffing season is a tale as old as time.  We all know that primal urge to have someone to cuddle with as soon as the weather starts to get cold. Maybe we just get lazy in this time of inclement weather and the idea of being tied down sounds easier and more comfortable than the dating scene, which we all know can be exhausting.  Maybe it’s because people love the idea of having a set person to go on seasonal dates with.  Stuff like pumpkin patches and ice-skating.  Either way, cuffing season is in the air and people are settling down left and right. 

The trouble with cuffing season is sometimes a relationship isn’t always in the cards.  You may be too busy.  All the potential significant others you meet may be total losers. You may just not be feelin’ a relationship despite these subconscious seasonal urges.  So I bring you: The Single Girl’s Guide to Cuffing Season!

Take yourself on dates…I promise it’s not weird

In my opinion, one of the best things about being single is being able to date yourself.  I know that sounds silly but hear me out.  You do all the typical seasonal dates, but you do them by yourself or with your friends.  Nowhere does it say that you can only go apple picking if you have a hot date.  You could just as easily do that by yourself or with your squad.  It can be just as fun (if not more fun than) a date and you’re also not missing out on any fun holiday activities.   

Spend mondo time with your friends. 

Speaking of your squad, another way to keep the feels at bay is to spend tons of time with them. The holidays are such a fun time with so much going on in most communities.  There are lots of opportunities to go out with your girls and have a good time. Keep your mind and energy busy and positive.  Focus on the people you have in your life now and the need to be in a relationship won’t seem as pressing. 

Go on casual dates and just have fun!

Now don’t get me wrong, just because you’re not out there desperate for a relationship doesn’t mean you can’t go on any dates.  The cuffing season gods want you to think that every date needs to lead to a second date, and then a third, and so on and so forth.  But if a relationship isn’t going to happen for you this holiday season and you remain single through out the cuffing season, don’t be afraid to date for fun.  Feel free to ask the cuties you meet on dates and accept invites as well.  Be open to having fun and meeting new people!

Stop comparing your life to what you see of other’s lives on social media

One of cuffing season’s main snares is social media.  I love instagram as much as the next girl, but every October though December our timelines are rife with couples on cute dates to Temple Square or pumpkin patches. Meanwhile we’re sitting at home on our couch eating pizza and catching up on American Horror story. We might be seeing these picture perfect grams and wondering why that’s not us. Here’s when we need to stop ourselves from having a full scale pity party and remember that we are having a great time at home.  Don’t ever take a comfy couch and pizza for granted. Just because someone else in out taking pictures in front of Christmas lights with what seems to be their soul mate doesn’t mean that we are any less fulfilled by having fun any other way.  Don’t compare how you spend your weekend nights to how others say they do on social media. In the end, you’re still having fun doing your own single girl thing, and that’s all that matters. 

Just enjoy the holiday season!

Really, it’s as simple as that.  Halloween is still fun even if you don’t have someone to be the Joker to your Harley Quinn. Thanksgiving is still fun if you don’t have someone to take home and make awkward conversation with your Aunt Amelia at the dinner table. Christmas is still fun if you don’t have someone to give a cologne they’ll probably never wear to. And New Years is still fun if you don’t go into the evening knowing who your kiss will be or even if you’ll have a kiss that night. The holiday season is just really fun! 

So live it up with your bad self by your bad self. You’re all pretty cool, collegiettes, weather you’re “cuffed” this holiday season or not.  

Communications major at the University of UtahDiet Coke and sea monster enthusiastTrying to change the world one sarcastic article at a time
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor