This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Celebrate the season of love with some of the best love songs of all times! No matter who you’re with, these love songs are sure to stick in your head and get you up on your feet. So, set aside your heart-shaped favors, grab your guy and have that slow dance around your apartment or dorm for the most romantic Valentine’s Day yet! 

1940’s

1942: “Day and Night” – Frank Sinatra

The smooth, crooning voice of Frank Sinatra instantly evokes innocent longings with the promise of everlasting love. This relaxing melody will ensure for a romantic night with plenty of loving gestures. 

1944: “I’ll Be Seeing You” – Billie Holiday

When classic music comes to mind, one cannot help but to remember Billie Holiday. This beautiful song is about the memories you have with your loved one. With lyrics such as “I’ll be seeing you in all the old familiar places that this heart of mine embraces…” Holiday takes you back to those old feelings and nostalgic days.

1950’s

1956: “Love Me Tender” – Elvis Presley

We could not think of leaving the King himself off of our Valentine’s Day playlist. Elvis Presley sings this song with such total devotion and true meaning it is no wonder “Love Me Tender” is one of his biggest hits.

1958: “Lollipop” – The Chordettes

With this catchy chorus, there is no way your feet won’t be tapping to this tune. This song is the perfect blend of sweet and upbeat; perfect for putting you in a happy mood. This memorable song is one of the reasons why girl groups ruled the 50’s like the Queens that they are! Anyone else remeber this song from the Spice Girl’s movie, Spice World

1960’s

1961: “Cupid” – Sam Cooke

Featured in Rolling Stone magazine as one of “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time”, “Cupid” clearly hasn’t lost its magic. Known as a ladies man in his time, Sam Cooke’s song will inspire you to make the first move on your crush. Let his persuasive lyrics guide you to find love this Valentine’s Day!

1961: “At Last” – Etta James

Etta James sings so perfectly about finding that one true love that “At Last” is still a staple at most weddings. James’ timeless message will live on even after the honeymoon phase.

[pagebreak]

1970’s

1974: “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe” – Barry White

Nothing will set the mood better than the smooth, soulful and deep voice of Barry White. The funky vibe sends your groove right back into the 70’s circa Charlie’s Angels. You won’t be able to get enough of this song. We know we can’t!

1978: “You’re the One That I Want” – Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta

Grease is the ultimate good girl gone bad movie. When Sandy shows up to the school fair in the skintight black leather pants, she was the girl to be! Take notes and don’t be afraid to embrace your inner Sandy. Show the world who it is and what it is you want!

1980’s

1986: “Open Your Heart” – Madonna

No other female ruled the 80’s like Madonna did. Her catchy yet suggestive lyrics demand that you have a good time. Dance your way into your lover’s heart with this timeless tune!

1987: “The Way You Make Me Feel” – Michael Jackson

The undisputable King of Pop didn’t disappoint when he released this dance worthy ballad. Bring out your sparkle glove and make your guy feel the way he makes you feel!

1990’s

1997: “Kiss Me” – Sixpence None the Richer

We know you remember the movie She’s All That and how it made you fall in love with Freddie Prince Jr. and this song! It also doesn’t hurt having Tess Wiley’s quirky voice reacquaint you with your sensitive side thanks to a mix of sweet lyrics and soft vocals. This song is a Valentine’s Day must!

1997: “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” – Aerosmith

Could you cry everytime you hear this song and think about that scene in Armageddon? Don’t worry you’re not alone! This soulful love song by Aerosmith is sure to melt your guys heart too. Put this tune on replay in order to set a romantic mood for the manliest of men!

[pagebreak]

2000’s

2002: “Somebody Like You” – Keith Urban

Keith Urban sure knows how to make a lady swoon by singing like she’s the only one in the room. “Somebody Like You” has the meaning of love built right into it making you feel so warm-hearted. Urban’s sexy, Aussie accent definitely doesn’t hurt either! 

2006: “Fidelity” – Regina Spektor

For those ladies who are not the head over heels romantic type, this song is just for you. Staying grounded can be a good way to protect yourself, but this Valentine’s Day get ready to open your self up to the unknown!

2010’s

2011: “Love Song” – Adele

No one has the ability to pull at your heart strings like the way Adele does. With her one of a kind soulful voice, this modern rendition will serve as the perfect soundtrack for a romantic dinner for two.

2012: “Same Love” – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Mary Lambert

No matter what type of relationship you are in, we all are allowed to celebrate the day of love with those we care about the most. This chart topping song will surely put you in a loving mood after just one listen and with Mary Lambert’s intoxicating and beautiful voice!

BONUS SONG:

2014: “All of Me” – John Legend

John Legend never disappoints. His sexy, soft voice always leaves you wanting more and his newest hit “All of Me” isn’t any different! We can’t seem to take it off repeat!

We at HC Utah hope you have enjoyed our Valentine’s Day playlist of romantic songs through the decades. These songs are to help inspire you to have the most intimate V-Day yet! 

Kayla Van Hoose