Rachel Wilson: U of U Model EU Captain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Name:  Rachel Wilson

Hometown:  Layon, UT

Graduation Year:  2017

Major:  Political Science

We are so proud to call one of Her Campus Utah’s newest writer and captain of the University of Utah’s Model European Union, Rachel Wilson, our Campus Celebrity. Rachel transferred to the U from UVU to get a college experience that was full of events, clubs, and people who were on the same page. She claims it’s the best decision she has ever made and is truly happy to be apart of the U. See what Rachel has to stay about her time at the U and her position as Model EU captain:

Her Campus (HC):  Tell us about Model European Union.

Rachel Wilson (RW):  Model EU is a competition where schools across the nation compete as different countries in a mock or a model parliamentary debate. Each school is assigned a country and an issue, then you go to the competition and you try to sway every other country to be on your side, everyone tries to get the issues running as smoothly as possible in a pretend situation.

HC:  How did you get involved?

RW:  I was in my European Politics class and the professor said there was a really cool opportunity and if anyone wanted to join they could. He then picked the most qualified.

HC:  Once you were involved, how did you get the position of being captain of the team? Especially your first year! What an accomplishment!

RW:  I got the position because I competed in debate all through high school and competed in Model United Nations. I’m extremely ready to win and always tell my team that we can do it. I’m overly competitive and believe that we can win!

HC:  What country is the U representing this year?

RW:  We have three! We are proudly representing Finland, the Netherlands, and Lithuania.

HC:  Did you know much about these countries before?

RW:  Nothing at all. It was terrifying, but I was so excited to take the challenge head on and learn so much about areas that I knew so little prior to this.

HC:  When will you and your team be competing?

RW:  Our competition is on February 20th and 21st at the University of Washington!

HC:  How has getting involved with Model EU on campus been a highlight for your collegiate experience?

RW:  I’m closer to some of the professors in the Political Science department, and I have made some amazing new friends who share similar interests and are just as passionate about this competition as I am. It’s refreshing!

HC:  Do you think the U could win?

RW:  I absolutely know we can! We are in it to win it!

HC: Good luck at competition and HCXO!

Julianne serves in the role of Community Development Associate, directly working with chapters and expansion. She graduated from the University of Utah in 2018 with a triple major in Political Science, Film & Media Art, and Communications with minors in Health and Theater. Julianne served as a Campus Correspondent for Utah for 3 years, as a Chapter Advisor for 2 years, a Campus Expansion Assistant for 2 years, and as a High School Ambassador Advisor. New to Boston, Julianne can't wait to eat as much seafood as was deprived of her after living in the mountains for most of her life. In her spare time, she loves to ski, watch an unreasonable amount of movies, and write!
Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!